Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionUP of MIchigan, far west
Specific LocationGogebic Co, Presque Isle River
Dates FishedJuly 12th
Time of Day7 am
Fish Caught(2) one smallish brown, same approx size rainbow
Conditions & Hatchesclear to scattered cloud cover, day temp was low 80's, water was cold (no stream thermometer, but cold nonetheless) no hatches visibly rising, used wooly bugger, sz 12, and shiner-minnow bucktail streamer also a 12

Details and Discussion

Roguerat
Roguerat's profile picture
Roguerat on Aug 8, 2011August 8th, 2011, 1:43 pm EDT
my first time in the Presque Isle, this was just south of the campground bearing same name at Porcupine Mts . I could only wade to the edge of the faster current due to EXTREMELY slippery shale or bedrock bottom- even standing still I still slid downhill ever so steadily.I was wearing cleated Korkers and shuffling.

since I didn't feel very safe w/o spikes or a spiked wading staff I let things go at that and got out after repeated slow slides.

Quick Reply