Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Cinygmula

This is primarily a Western genus. Cinygmula ramaleyi is the most important species, producing good hatches in the West. Cinygmula reticulata may also be relevant, and I have seen a great spinner swarm from an unsung species, Cinygmula par, in the Washington Cascades.

There is only one Eastern species, Cinygmula subaequalis, and its importance is minor.

Example specimens

Male Cinygmula tarda Mayfly Spinner
Male Cinygmula tarda (Heptageniidae) Mayfly Spinner from the Cedar River in Washington
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 5:09 am EDT
Interesting. It's not a simple, nor perfect, world. Look close enough and you begin to see the "imperfections" -undertones of religious judgment intended. I think Darwin called it "variations", twisting the idea into something we can run with.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:12 am EDT
Lloyd & Paul -

Good stuff guys. Back to fishing: Red nymphs! I'm going to tie up some in my heptageniid style in the spirit of pax between imitation and attraction. No beadheads though, I'm not going that far!:)

Kurt
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:23 am EDT
Kurt, that was what followed from my exposure to "the mystery of the blue lobsters"; That maybe trying to mimic isn't always the best way to catch fish. I would love to chat about that one, but I've got to get some work out.
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:36 am EDT
No beadheads though, I'm not going that far!:)

C'mon, Kurt, I'm pretty sure that you can find some red beads....;)

Here are some images of red form Rhithrogena:

This one is from Colorado.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/262540/bgimage

This R. impersonata is from Michigan.
http://bugguide.net/node/view/470153/bgimage

This R. impersonata is from Massachusetts (notice how the mouthparts are projecting a bit like Cinygmula).
http://bugguide.net/node/view/267308/bgimage
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 9:09 am EDT
C'mon, Kurt, I'm pretty sure that you can find some red beads....;)

Ughh...

BTW - thanks for the photos. The Cinygmula looking one sure would confuse in the hand! Looking closer though, it appears to be a membrane of some sort attached to the dorsum, so all is still right with the world.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 2:07 pm EDT
Looking closer though, it appears to be a membrane of some sort attached to the dorsum, so all is still right with the world.

Take another look, Kurt. Check the ventral (2nd) photo of the same nymph.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 3:55 pm EDT
Ha! What the heck! Is Roger gluing body parts together on us? You know he is a computer wiz as well as a bug wiz. He does muck about on that other website as well.:)
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 4:28 pm EDT
Roger is a clever guy, Kurt, but in this instance, I suspect it is ol' Mother Nature who is "mucking" with us. ;)
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2011July 21st, 2011, 8:56 pm EDT
Ha Ha!:) I know, I know... You're probably right.... But the silence is deafening. Do I hear soft chuckling off in the distance? Perhaps Washington way?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 22, 2011July 22nd, 2011, 10:32 am EDT
Although I may be silent when I can't think of an appropriate response, it doesn't mean I'm not listening. :-)
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
PaulRoberts
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Jul 23, 2011July 23rd, 2011, 9:18 pm EDT
Here's a link to an apparently red R impersonata:

http://128.192.10.174/mp/20p?see=I_DSC488&res=640

I have a photo of an Epeorus with red gills -I believe it was hemaglobin in the gills. Just not enough O2 in that stream tank of mine for Epeorus. Will post eventually.

Quick Reply