Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Dec 9, 2010December 9th, 2010, 2:14 pm EST
"Plus, that's what I'm fishing now anyway!!"
Perfect!

Try to tie at least half a dozen in a sitting. Each one will get better.

Oh yes, what thread are you using for the midges. You may already know but use different thread diameters for diff hook sizes. Leave space for the head!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 9, 2010December 9th, 2010, 5:32 pm EST
Hmmm, I'm late to this thread. A few comments. I think I'm one of those hungry browns that Spence mentions: see my recent question in the "Caddis Pupa Question" thread. Also, I'm very, very fond of my teardrop hackle pliers. I'd guess everyone has a favorite pair, and I'm relatively sure that we could fill a long series of posts just arguing and extolling the virtues of the hackle pliers that work best for each of us (can I resist starting the thread), but I'd urge any beginner to get one of these inexpensive, but very functional tools. Make sure the jaws are tapered and that they meet evenly when closed. Yes, they will break a hackle faster than some versions, but with the right touch they at least don't slip--something I hate when wrapping that final turn on a bug that has already taken too long to tie.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Dec 23, 2010December 23rd, 2010, 2:54 pm EST
Ok, some first impressions, having tied 25 or so midges...

Quality seems to be hit and miss. I'll tie a real nice one, and then the next three will be sub-par. Ironically, I think the very first one I tied is still one of the best ones to date.
I have been having a little trouble getting the wire tied in at the top to my aesthetic satisfaction, and the half hitches are still a challenge. I am kind of relying on head cement to fill the gaps (no pun intended) in my finishing techniques. Overall it's going pretty well, and I believe I'll try to expand to Pheasant Tails in the near future.

Paul- To answer your question, I am using 8/0 thread currently. Along with size 18 hooks, 3/32 beads, and the smallest gauge ultra wire I could find.
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB
Keystoner
Keystoner's profile picture
Eugene, OR - formerly Eastern PA

Keystoner on Dec 24, 2010December 24th, 2010, 5:17 am EST
Made it out this morning, and nabbed three lovelies on midges that I tied!! Happy Christmas to me, and all the rest o' you guys!!!
"Out into the cool of the evening, strolls the Pretender. He knows that all his hopes and dreams, begin and end there." -JB

Quick Reply