Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 16, 2010April 16th, 2010, 9:32 am EDT
Ah, you know me, Spence, always looking for a bone to pick...Just thought I would kick the discussion up a notch. BTW, besides the MBU, what's YOUR favorite WB (if you have one)?

I think the beauty of fly tackle is that, given the circumstances, I can switch from a #16 Adams to a #4 WB, then to a #12 Gold-Ribbed Hair's ear, then to a #6 deer hair bass bug, then to a #2 weighted stonefly...All on my 8.5-foot 5-weight, and at most with the addition or subtraction of some tippet material. (On my 8-weight, I can switch from a #6 Glo-bug or a #12 nymph to a #6/0, 7" long weighted pike streamer!) Sure, the casting dynamics might change, but as a veteran flyrodder I know how to adjust without skipping a beat. And we all know there are days you gotta do this to keep on top of things and catch something. As in, when I have fished Dix Pond in Ann Arbor and I 'm throwing little bitty wet flies at the bluegill, and then a big brown submarine cruises into view and I have to hurry up and tie on a WB, KBF, or deer hair bug to get their attention (those 'gills just nip at the tails of those larger flies). The versatility is wonderful - you can go right from throwing something 1/4" long to something 3" long (or more) depending on who is swimming or rising in front of you.

THAT's why I'm a fly fisherman. Also see my latest post on the "opening day Trout april 1st ADVICE???" thread for my "fly-fishing manifesto" - it's the latest post on that thread.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply