Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Male Baetidae (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This dun emerged from a mature nymph on my desk. Unfortunately its wings didn't perfectly dry out.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Bcvizina
Northern Michigan

Bcvizina on Mar 11, 2010March 11th, 2010, 6:14 am EST
I have read in a book that the Beaman's Ghost is a well known brook trout streamer, but I have yet to find a pattern anywhere on the internet. Does anybody know if this pattern?
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 11, 2010March 11th, 2010, 2:58 pm EST
Brent,

Maybe you heard of this from Bob Linsenman's book "Michigan Trout Streams"? He actually has a photo there of Hugh Beaman and some discussion of his streamer. Bob owns the Au Sable Angler shop in Mio. He has a web site and maybe you can contact them there for more info.

He says in there that it's a variation of the Black Ghost tied 8-12. Body is black wool ribbed with gold tinsel. It has a white hackle wing with either a red or yellow throat (hackle fibers) tied sparse and lightly weighted.

Hope this helps!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply