Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Clostoeca disjuncta (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one was surprisingly straightforward to identify. The lack of a sclerite at the base of the lateral hump narrows the field quite a bit, and the other options followed fairly obvious characteristics to Clostoeca, which only has one species, Clostoeca disjuncta.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 24, 2009October 24th, 2009, 1:24 am EDT
If anyone is interested I did very well with the BWO Barr Wet Emerger I tried for the first time this week. It's an easy tie as are all of his flies.
Bruce
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 24, 2009October 24th, 2009, 4:48 pm EDT
Congratulations, Bruce. Olives are the best.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 25, 2009October 25th, 2009, 12:30 am EDT
Hi Louis: I guess olives are your favorites?
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Oct 26, 2009October 26th, 2009, 4:10 am EDT
"I guess olives are your favorites?"
I don't know about his favorite however one spring I heard him suggest sacrificing his eldest to get the hatch going. ;)
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Oct 26, 2009October 26th, 2009, 12:07 pm EDT
LOL! That is serious.
Bruce
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 26, 2009October 26th, 2009, 1:44 pm EDT
Fortunately it didn't come to that. I wish I had more free time to check out the autumn olives, but work's had me tied up most of the time lately. Just got back from a conference in Ohio and didn't even think of throwing a rod in the car. Now that's sad.

--Fred Chappell
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Oct 27, 2009October 27th, 2009, 1:27 am EDT
Thanks,
I wondered why the fishing has been soooo good. I caught the fish on vacation between Louis and Bruce, thanks guys, friends like you two are hard to find :)

Keep up the good work

Your thankful Buddy

The other john---Jad

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Oct 27, 2009October 27th, 2009, 6:49 am EDT
Rub it in, John, Rub it in.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply