Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Minaanowak
Banned
umiujaq

Minaanowak on Jun 24, 2009June 24th, 2009, 2:38 pm EDT
i need a fly tying kit i cant afford one my stupid boss wont give me a raise and the kit cost like two hundred and thirty three dollars
and i have to pay the rent every week
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Jun 24, 2009June 24th, 2009, 3:24 pm EDT
i need a fly tying kit i cant afford

my stupid boss wont give me a raise

the kit cost like two hundred and thirty three dollars

i have to pay the rent every week

ME TOO!!!!!!
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Minaanowak
Banned
umiujaq

Minaanowak on Jun 25, 2009June 25th, 2009, 12:31 pm EDT
i need both of the things for fly fishing i pay my own hotel rentals because i graduated early i skipped a grade and i have a lake that have alot of trout and arctic char also i live in a hotel so i cant
pay for the fly tying kit for fly tying so i can have lots to make for my self so i need both fly hooks so i can look at the patterns and a fly tying kit to make my self and some for my father and brother so can someone be so nice to give me a fly tying kit
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Jun 25, 2009June 25th, 2009, 12:58 pm EDT
I'm not buying into this bogus post.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Jun 26, 2009June 26th, 2009, 9:13 am EDT
Likewise. I hit the "ban" button. If this person is for real, he/she should have been more honest about the details, because this story doesn't add up. I don't want anyone taking a chance on getting scammed by someone who's obviously not going to contribute much to the forum, whether sincere or not.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Flyfisher06
argyle ny near saratoga

Flyfisher06 on Jul 2, 2009July 2nd, 2009, 1:09 pm EDT
Thank you for that Jason it wasnt even clear english Good riddence
IF I am not flyfishing or bird hunting I must be doing something bad like working !!

Quick Reply