Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionRiver Road
Specific LocationRR Trestle to 1/2 mile downstream
Dates FishedFriday April 11
Time of Day10:30 - 3:30
Fish CaughtTen midgets 8" - 10", two about 12", two pretty wild fish > 7". two chubs
Conditions & HatchesWater clear and seemingly quite warm. Thermometer broken but water felt to be mid 60's - ya think that is possible? Good flow and nice nymphing depth. Hardly any Hendrikson's - saw 1/2 a dozen early then none for rest of day. Some Grannoms and also tan caddis. Once in awhile there would be a rise but for the amount of sun and caddis there was very little surface action.

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Apr 12, 2008April 12th, 2008, 7:32 am EDT
Two larger fish on top, all others on mymphs, either a #14 BH PT or a #16 olive caddis with a gray ostrich herl thorax and lemon woodduck downwing.

It's a shame such pretty water and so few mayflies and rising fish.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Backwodzboy
Lancaster County ,Pa.

Backwodzboy on May 11, 2008May 11th, 2008, 1:16 pm EDT
last time i was over caught 35 fish. most on neon green salmon egg size 12 hook. one nice 22 inch rainbow on this green egg. also try an olive or green scud size 12 to 16. area fished: "The Run" behind boiling springs
lookin for the big ones! (practice catch & release)
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on May 11, 2008May 11th, 2008, 3:29 pm EDT
Didja break their necks and put'em on ur stringer?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply