Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

GeorgeBrown
GeorgeBrown's profile picture
London

GeorgeBrown on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 2:11 am EDT
Hi Everyone,

Please forgive the shameless plug...

I work for FishingTV, a video on demand platform for anglers.

We've recently joined forces with a young filmmaking duo called Chalkstream fly in order to make the definitive documentary about the famous chalkstreams of England. Why are they so special - what is it about the ecology, geography and history of the rivers that results in such a lauded reputation among fly fishers?

We've launched a kickstarter to fund the film, as we want to democratise the process. We've got some amazing rewards including money-cant-buy fishing opportunities, the chance to appear in the film or take part in the editing and creative process.

For all the info, please visit the kickstarter page! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/377649280/chalk-a-fly-fishing-oddessy-on-the-chalkstreams-of?ref=8icm5f
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 5:44 am EDT
I usually delete this sort of advertisement from a first-time poster, but this sounds like a pretty cool project so I'll leave it. George, please come back and update this post with a reply when the film's available.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Iasgair
Iasgair's profile picture
Colorado

Iasgair on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 11:18 am EDT
It's on other forums as well. By the sounds of it, it is legit.
GeorgeBrown
GeorgeBrown's profile picture
London

GeorgeBrown on Apr 11, 2017April 11th, 2017, 9:22 pm EDT
Hi Troutnut, thanks for your understanding, and forgive my faux pas for barging in and advertising the project like that!

Iasgair, we sure are legit, and our campaign is going really well: we're very nearly half-way to our target of £16K, and there seems to be lots of interest in the project.

There's some really cool rewards for backers, so if you've ever fancied fishing one of these awesome rivers, or fancy yourself as the next star of fishing film and television, don't delay!

I'll definitely be popping back up every now and again to let you know about progress with the project and then with teasers and trailers and such!

Watch this space!

Quick Reply