Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Ndebarmore has attached these 2 pictures to aid in identification. The message is below.
Mayfly
Tiger Trout
Ndebarmore
Ndebarmore on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 6:52 am EDT
Hello,
This may be a longshot, as the image was from my iPhone and I couldn't get very macro.

Fish were slamming these in Amethyst Basin of the Uintas this weekend.

I think this is a spinner because of the clear wings. Swarms became noticeable around 10 AM to noon. They were clinging all over my clothes. Saw plenty of spent ones flat in the water.

If anyone can help identify, I would really appreciate it!

I've also included a photo of the fish eating them!
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 7:29 am EDT
My first guess would be some sort of Callibaetis?

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 8:03 am EDT
I think it's a Callibaetis female but not sure of the species. Beautiful looking country and a nice trout too.
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 8:09 am EDT
Hi Ndebarmore-

As Spence and Mark suggest, it's a Callibaetis female imago (spinner), probably C. ferrugineus hageni.
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 5:21 pm EDT
Welcome to the forum, Ndebarmore.

Beautiful lake, beautiful fish, beautiful fly! I'm jealous...:)

Definitely a female Callibaetis imago (Speckled Spinner). I agree with Taxon on the probability of the species.
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Jul 21, 2014July 21st, 2014, 5:55 pm EDT
Welcome Ndebarmore. Beautiful setting, great description of the Callibaetis emergence and like Entoman , I'm jealous...nice fish too, cool pattern of spots on that one! Quite a difference from where I've been lately, throwing beetles on PA spring creeks. Congrats!

Eric

Quick Reply