Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Zapada cinctipes (Nemouridae) (Tiny Winter Black) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Nymphs of this species were fairly common in late-winter kick net samples from the upper Yakima River. Although I could not find a key to species of Zapada nymphs, a revision of the Nemouridae family by Baumann (1975) includes the following helpful sentence: "2 cervical gills on each side of midline, 1 arising inside and 1 outside of lateral cervical sclerites, usually single and elongate, sometimes constricted but with 3 or 4 branches arising beyond gill base in Zapada cinctipes." This specimen clearly has the branches and is within the range of that species.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

14Adams
Western PA

14Adams on May 30, 2011May 30th, 2011, 5:01 pm EDT
Howdy all. I have a question about the mayfly I fished among this evening. There were quite a few of them,females I figure,with snow white abdomens. Not just sort of white, snow white. I couldn't catch any for pics as they dipped and rose from the surface. Not huge,not small,just a fairly abundant medium sized mayfly. Any thoughts?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 30, 2011May 30th, 2011, 6:18 pm EDT
Like this maybe?

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/778

The other white-bodied mayflies I can think of are green drake spinners (roughly the right time of year, but they're big) and Ephoron mayflies (right size and color, wrong time of year).
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
14Adams
Western PA

14Adams on May 31, 2011May 31st, 2011, 5:29 pm EDT
Not exactly. The wings and thorax are darker. I went back this evening looking for a spinner or two to gather up,but no dice. There were a few females dipping again and without a net I didn't stand a chance. Being the first of June I have to think Green Drake. The less than monsterous porportions may just be a local thing.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 31, 2011May 31st, 2011, 7:16 pm EDT
Green drakes are the only white-abdomen spinners I can think of with anything other than totally clear wings. Here's one of my green drake spinners:

http://www.troutnut.com/specimen/736

Look about right?
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
14Adams
Western PA

14Adams on Jun 1, 2011June 1st, 2011, 12:28 pm EDT
Looks like the critter. I figure that's it.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Jun 2, 2011June 2nd, 2011, 8:23 pm EDT
There are some medium sized heptageniids that fit the bill, I think, unless I'm way off. Always a possibility these days.

Quick Reply