Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Crickaddict
North Georgia

Crickaddict on Aug 27, 2006August 27th, 2006, 5:46 am EDT
I'm in the market for a river rated pontoon, any suggestions?
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 27, 2006August 27th, 2006, 9:15 am EDT
Crickaddict-

I would certainly want an aluminum frame and pontoons at least 9" long. Other than that, you get pretty much what you pay for. How much were you thinking of spending?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Massflyfish
Southborough, MA

Massflyfish on Sep 12, 2006September 12th, 2006, 2:37 am EDT
I have both a 9 foot Waterskeeter for rivers and a Watermaster. the Watermaster is by far and away the best. After I bought one, 6 other friends also purchased one. You can find them at http://www.kickboat.com

If I can figure out how to post a picture of us using them I will. Went down class 3 rapids on the Madison and Green without any problems. They also pack down to a backpack. Six of us packed them for trips with no additional cost on the airplane.

I have also floated the East Outlet and the West Branch of the Penobscot with them. Truly outstanding.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 12, 2006September 12th, 2006, 3:09 am EDT
That watermaster does look pretty cool.

I eventually want to get a small fishing kayak, instead of a pontoon, because I know I would want to use it on at least one river where inflatable craft aren't allowed (the Bois Brule in Wisconsin).
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist

Quick Reply