Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Mar 15, 2009March 15th, 2009, 2:21 am EDT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvC_KHU4AqE

A friend sent this along to me. I was hoping that it would end with the slurping sound of a big brown, but it's still pretty good.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Apr 22, 2009April 22nd, 2009, 10:57 am EDT
Very cool! I somehow missed this when you first posted it, but it deserves a bump.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on Apr 22, 2009April 22nd, 2009, 4:02 pm EDT
I, too, missed this cool commercial when it was originally posted. Thanks to Shawn for sharing it and Jason for bumping it back up.
Patcrisci
Lagrangeville, NY

Patcrisci on Apr 23, 2009April 23rd, 2009, 4:58 am EDT
this is a cool video --- very clever commercial. I did not know that a mayfly's life -- even if brief -- was such fun. Ah the magic of the camera. Shawn is right, in real life the little bugger'd be swallowed up by a trout! Ha!
Pat Crisci
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 23, 2009April 23rd, 2009, 11:17 am EDT
Not if some happy hatch matcher got to the trout first. John W has proposed to me that our job as flyfishers is to preserve the little ephermeral guys by interrupting the trout's dinner sufficiently to allow them to escape. The thrill of hooking and (perhaps) landing the fish is purely secondary, he maintains.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Apr 23, 2009April 23rd, 2009, 12:04 pm EDT
Saving bugs from certain death - now there's an idea worth pitching to PETA. To think that they work so hard to protect vicious predators - sadistic folks, if you ask me.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com

Quick Reply