Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Epeorus albertae (Heptageniidae) (Pink Lady) Mayfly Nymph from the East Fork Issaquah Creek in Washington
This specimen keys to the Epeorus albertae group of species. Of the five species in that group, the two known in Washington state are Epeorus albertae and Epeorus dulciana. Of the two, albertae has been collected in vastly more locations in Washington than dulciana, suggesting it is far more common. On that basis alone I'm tentatively putting this nymph in albertae, with the large caveat that there's no real information to rule out dulciana.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

MarcaoV8
MarcaoV8's profile picture
Brazil

MarcaoV8 on Jun 26, 2019June 26th, 2019, 1:39 am EDT
Hello, I would like to know if there are floating nymphs in the wild.
In this case, would not it be an emergent, in the final phase of the aquatic cycle?
Thank you all.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 26, 2019June 26th, 2019, 3:28 pm EDT
Yes, some tie floating nymph flies as emergers. They can be very effective.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 27, 2019June 27th, 2019, 5:54 am EDT
They had a term for some of them back in the day called “flymphs” right?

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy