Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 9:40 am EDT
Hey: I've got Dulude's book. What is it you were wanting to know at this point? I don't read or speak much French, so I hope nothing is lost in translation.
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 1:20 pm EDT
Ha! Great. Trying to run down any research reporting on the presence of atrocaudatus in QC. According to Michel, the author mentions its presence, and there's hope that the reference for this is in the biblio.

Thanks
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 4:29 pm EDT
He had it listed as being in QC, but I didn't see anything to substantiate it being there. In other words, he could have expected it but not seen it yet (though I have little doubt he saw something he thought was H. atrocaudata). Curiously, I don't think he had it listed in his hatch chart.
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 12, 2012March 12th, 2012, 4:44 pm EDT
Thanks Luke,

I believe the author is an angler not a scientist which was why I hoped he cited a paper in the biblio. Though he's got the number of species right, I wonder if he's confusing atrocaudata with bilineata, the third species that has been found there.

Still, I have to agree with Jason that this sure looks like atrocaudata (whatever that means). :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Pilonm
Quebec

Pilonm on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 4:44 am EDT
Hello all,

I finally succeeded to open the door of my shed :)

So I got finally the measure and know now how long it was...

Once again, I am really surprised about the results: this Hexagenia measures 1.9 cm only!!!! Wow! I was sure it was at least 40mm!!! So I realized that the big wings, the fact that he often have its front legs in front of his head and the long cerci make him looks very bigger (what an illusion)! (Imagine if it was a trout! ;-) ).

So knowing now its size, can we say for sure that it is Hexagenia atrocaudata? It seems so, isn't it?

Thanks,,

Michel
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:11 am EDT
I'm glad you got the measurement! Those Hex mayflies do tend to look much bigger than they are.

I certainly think atrocaudata is looking pretty good as an ID now.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Entoman
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 9:21 am EDT
I certainly think atrocaudata is looking pretty good as an ID now.

I agree. Thanks for following up on the measurement, Michel.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Mar 31, 2012March 31st, 2012, 2:48 pm EDT
So knowing now its size, can we say for sure that it is Hexagenia atrocaudata? It seems so, isn't it?

So Michel, does this mean that mean I have your blessing to move it back to H. atrocaudata in BugGuide?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Pilonm
Quebec

Pilonm on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 5:50 am EDT
Of course Roger :)

Cheers,

Michel

Pilonm
Quebec

Pilonm on Apr 1, 2012April 1st, 2012, 5:53 am EDT
Also, I want to thanks everybody on this forum for helping me so much on this ID. I learned so much reading your so pertinent posts!!!

You are great people :D

Cheers,

Michel

Quick Reply