Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Al514
Al514's profile picture
Central New York

Al514 on Feb 9, 2012February 9th, 2012, 5:16 pm EST
For multiple reasons, I have been away from this forum for a while. I still see some familiar names around, and the new template of the site looks great. It's finally updated too! Lots of new pictures and bugs to look at :-)

Anyways, I'm going to try and be on here more again and its good to still see quality content.
Minnesota
Minnesota's profile picture
Caledonia MN/LaCrosse WI

Minnesota on Feb 9, 2012February 9th, 2012, 8:43 pm EST
I can't wait to get out in the water myself. My oldest son is 6 now, and old enough to come along and peek under rocks with me. Maybe even get a can of corn and catch some stocked trout. Teaching my children to fly fish is going to be such a blessing, and so much fun for me.
Jason Moe
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Feb 10, 2012February 10th, 2012, 8:46 am EST
Welcome back, Artie.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Lastchance
Portage, PA

Lastchance on Feb 11, 2012February 11th, 2012, 5:30 am EST
Hey Artie, at least give us one reason you haven't been on here. Hee! Hee!

Quick Reply

Troutnut.com is copyright © 2004-2024 (email Jason). privacy policy