Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 12:08 pm EDT
Hi Everyone,
It appears I made a mistake and added a topic unintentionally. To make up for it, I'll post a recent watercolor "May On The Genny" Hope all enjoy it.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 12:59 pm EDT
Wow, are there some talented folks on here. Very nice, Mark.

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 1:28 pm EDT

Thanks Mark
The picture ads a lot of peace to my soul.

John

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 3:15 pm EDT
Where (general area) is the stream that was the inspiration? Perhaps I should recognize the name "Genny," but I don't. It reminds me of some streams I know from New York.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 3:32 pm EDT
Nice work!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Gene
Gene on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 6:02 pm EDT

Absolutely beautiful to say the least. Makes you long for the river with friends, a good cigar and fine cognac! You are a talent!

tight lines and cool Fall Breezes against your face while you land the big one

gene
www.eugenemacri.com
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Sep 5, 2007September 5th, 2007, 7:40 pm EDT
This is great!
what are the dimensions?
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 1:17 am EDT
Thanks all for your comments and positive feedback. Konchu, The Genesee River runs south to north through NY state. It's beginnings originate in PA, close to the NY/PA border almost directly south of Rochester, NY. It's best fly fishing -trout waters are in the southern most area from the PA border north to Belmont NY in Allegany County.

Right now, the river is bare bones because of lack of rain, but since the water is open all year long, we can get some early and late fishing in. The river also has a 2.5 mile NO KILL area. I added two other paintings inspired by the river in the original post.

I live in Wellsville, and the Genesee River Runs Through It--literally.

Mark

PS IEatimago--the original painting I posted and the last one in the three are small about 14" wide by about 9.75" high. When matted correctly they come out to 20" wide by 16" high.
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html
CaseyP
CaseyP's profile picture
Arlington, VA/ Mercersburg, PA

CaseyP on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 3:44 am EDT
a lot of the advice i've read lately on this board makes sense when one looks at these pictures. beautiful, Mark! thank you for posting them.

now to drive a little further (after some rain!) to try out the new ideas on some water that's big enough. anyone been up to the Little Juniata lately?
"You can observe a lot by watching." Yogi Berra
Smallstream
State College, PA

Smallstream on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 4:09 am EDT
Those are some beautiful paintings!
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 6:46 am EDT
Did some work on the Genesee R near Portageville, further downstream in 1999. That is an interesting, beautiful river.
JAD
JAD's profile picture
Alexandria Pa

JAD on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 6:52 am EDT

Casey you have mail.

JaD

They fasten red (crimson red) wool around a hook, and fix onto the wool two feathers which grow under a cock’s wattles, and which in colour are like wax.
Radcliffe's Fishing from the Earliest Times,
TrevorC
Interlochen, Michigan

TrevorC on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 10:02 am EDT
Beautiful paintings, simply put.
I'll see you down on the river...
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 10:42 am EDT
I have a late uncle from Honeoye Falls whose favorite drink was a Genny from the Genny.

I have another uncle from Wellsville, believe it or not. Not a real big town from what I hear.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 11:07 am EDT
Great paintings! That makes me wish I had driven over to fish the Genny while I was still in Ithaca.

You would have liked to turn your brush on the places I saw this weekend... the Brooks Range in fall colors is amazing!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 11:11 am EDT
Hey softhackle,

Have you ever had a Texas Hot at the Texas Hot joint in Wellsville? Is it still owned by part of the Rigas family?
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 11:30 am EDT
Wow, Jason - Fall up there already. Must be cool.

-Shawn
www.davisflydesigns.com
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 1:54 pm EDT
Mark,
Beatiful work!!!!
I'm truly jealous of the artstic ability of many of teh "fly guys" I know and you sir have jumped to the top of that list!!!!!!!
JOHN
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 6, 2007September 6th, 2007, 6:42 pm EDT
Wow, Jason - Fall up there already. Must be cool.

I spent Sunday through Wednesday going up to Deadhorse and back, the full length of the "haul road" (Dalton Highway). I drove all the way through fall -- it's just starting here in Fairbanks and already finished in Deadhorse, peaking around Coldfoot in the Brooks Range. The drive is about 490 miles both ways, and most of that is gravel. It's got to be one of the prettiest drives in the world.

I'll have some great pictures up on the site when I get time to process them. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Softhackle
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 6:31 am EDT
LAM,
Yes, right on Main Street and still pumping out those Texas Hots among other food. As far as I know, the Hot is still operated by some of the Rigas family. Walk by the shop any time of day or night and it makes you HUNGRY. Lunchtime it's usially packed.

JOHNW,
Thanks so much for your kind words. In fact I'd like to thank everyone for their complimentary comments. Jason, it's a shame you never fished, here. I'm looking forward to your new photos.

Thanks all,
Mark

Quick Reply