Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Softhackle has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 9:57 am EDT
Sounds like it was great, Jason. Any fishing accomplished?

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 10:04 am EDT
I caught some grayling, but the catching wasn't great. The fishing was.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Lam
Lancaster, PA

Lam on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 10:38 am EDT
Softhackle,

Have you fished the Genny in the potter county area, just north of coudersport? I fished it last winter, my son was hunting deer around Gold/Genesee area with my brother-in-law. I decided to try the Genny for the first time in about 25 years. I got into some hold over rainbows and a few browns. The stream is pretty small in that area and there are a few branches of it that come together to form the main stream.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 2:34 pm EDT
When i was there in '99, we experienced the last part of an Ephoron hatch that was memorable. What hatches have others experienced or fished on the Genesee?
Softhackle
Softhackle's profile picture
Wellsville, NY

Softhackle on Sep 7, 2007September 7th, 2007, 4:02 pm EDT
LAM,
I've never fished the Genesee in PA, but know well where they are. I believe there are three branches, east, west and middle. They come together in the very small town of Genesee PA to form the main river which travels into NY. The fishing from PA into NY is very good, especially in the Shongo, NY area, but the NO KILL starts at the bridge in Shongo, traveling north 2.5 miles. There's some very nice water there, but be cautious, there are Timber Rattlers around in PA In Potter County.

Konchu,
My experience with the hatches are good. We have a very good Ephemerella dorothea hatch the end of May. We have NO Quill Gordon hatch that I'm aware of, but good olive (Baetis) hatches in the spring. Also some really good Isonychia hatches if the water doesn't get too low and warm in the later season. The Genny is plagued by low water and warm temps. Despite this we have a very good hold over rate, and as I said earlier, the river is open to fishing all year long for trout. The tribs close down at the end of the regular season, which is now October 15. The limit is 5 trout per day on the river with only two fish out of the five allowed over 12", but since I fly fish, that doesn't really matter much.

I have lived in Wellsville 26 years and fished and loved this river emensely. In 1999, I along with a friend, helped start the Upper Genesee River Chapter of TU. We are a small chapter, but we keep a close eye on the river.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty." Edward R. Hewitt

Flymphs, Soft-hackles and Spiders: http://www.troutnut.com/libstudio/FS&S/index.html

Quick Reply