Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 7 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Upper end of Nelson's
My Dad with a colorful rainbow - We released all our fish and this was long before C&R handling techniques
Leonard and 19" rainbow

Report at a Glance

General RegionSW Montana
Specific LocationLivingston
Dates FishedAll of June, July, and August 1968 - 1972
Time of Day11:00 a.m. to dark
Fish CaughtRainbows, browns, cutthroats
Conditions & HatchesPMD's

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 5, 2020August 5th, 2020, 11:23 am EDT
This is a little anecdote that was recently published on another forum and I thought some of you might enjoy reading it and seeing the pictures.

http://www.paflyfish.com/
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 6, 2020August 6th, 2020, 12:31 pm EDT
Great story, Matt. Well-written and very interesting.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Falsifly
Falsifly's profile picture
Hayward, WI.

Falsifly on Aug 7, 2020August 7th, 2020, 12:48 am EDT
Wow Matt, life has been good. Not to detract from the fishing but as a "60's" muscle car enthusiast that must have been quite a change in life going from the GTO to the VW. Anyway great story.
Falsifly
When asked what I just caught that monster on I showed him. He put on his magnifiers and said, "I can't believe they can see that."
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Aug 7, 2020August 7th, 2020, 1:26 am EDT
Thank you Matt for sharing a important part of your life with us, and also for all the help you give to folks here! Those are some cool pictures!
Mike.
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Aug 7, 2020August 7th, 2020, 3:44 am EDT
GREAT story Matt ,thanks so much for sharing 😊

Quick Reply