Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman has attached this picture to this report. The message is below.
Jonathon, does it look familiar?
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 10, 2020July 10th, 2020, 8:50 am EDT
This is one of my favorite spots.
Red_green_h
Red_green_h's profile picture
New Mexico

Red_green_h on Jul 10, 2020July 10th, 2020, 2:27 pm EDT
Looks like a beauty. I could probably hook every branch across it.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 11, 2020July 11th, 2020, 1:54 am EDT
Looks like an awesome tight line nymphing run.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jul 11, 2020July 11th, 2020, 8:41 am EDT
My pictures really are not good, the cell phone just does not do justice. But if you look just up stream from the black water there are some really nice riffles, small caddis I believe anyways were hatching in the riffles and then floating into that black colored water. There were fish rising, and I fished a rather large size 14 caddis and caught close to 15 fish. One was a really nice rainbow, which rainbows are not unusual here, there mostly steelhead parr. I didn't want to do the fish picture thing because I didn't bring a net, the warm temps had me releasing fish as quick as possible with as little handling as possible. Anyway, I hope everyone here is doing good, I have had possibly the best year of fishing and yet I feel as though something is missing with all of the madness going around. Cooler temps next, I may hit the Ausable again, early morning tricos and then some terraistals later in the morning.
Take care and have some fun, Mike.

Quick Reply