Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Partsman has attached these 2 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionNorthern lp, Michigan
Dates Fished6/2/2020
Time of Dayearly morning
Fish CaughtCouple a small browns and half dozen brookies.
Conditions & HatchesVery warm, there were some caddis, and a few unidentified mayflies hatching, but not much.

Details and Discussion

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 2, 2020June 2nd, 2020, 11:31 pm EDT
The best thing I caught yesterday was some peace and quiet, I've had enough of all the insanity going on. It was quite warm, I have not fished this river much, I would like to be fishing about 40 miles southeast of here, but that river is still running to high for me to wade. This section of the river was surprisingly low, and very clear. I managed a couple of small browns and several small brookies blind casting a Sulphur parachute. As noon approached it just got to hot, so I went driving around checking out some other spots. I everyone here is able to get out to there favorite stream or lake, it is good therapy!
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 3, 2020June 3rd, 2020, 12:21 am EDT
Ok, Im trying to get this picture thing figured out, I think Im getting it. HaHa!
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 5, 2020June 5th, 2020, 12:33 am EDT
Beautiful. Thanks for posting!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 5, 2020June 5th, 2020, 1:55 am EDT
They don't have to be big to be pretty, Mike! And as another friend once said:

"There ain't no such thing as an ugly trout stream."

Meaning, it's never all about the fishing, it's the whole experience. I catch plenty of little guys too, which is what happens when you like to fish little streams and ponds with brookies. Glad you are getting out, was wondering if anyone else has been since I haven't seen a lot of posts on here lately.

I need to do my share of fishing, but at 56 my current field work involves a LOT of hiking, not necessarily easy either, and by the time the day is done I'm ready to sit on my ass, especially if that's what I'm doing the next day. But I can't complain, I get exercise, fresh air, and sunshine and get to do lots of botany, and get paid for it! As I get back in shape after a lazy winter I'll get out there, especially now since we're in "summer evening mode" and the big bite happens later in the day with the hatches.

Best of luck, tight lines and dancing mayflies and caddisflies to all who get out there!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Brian314
Fenton, MI.

Brian314 on Jun 5, 2020June 5th, 2020, 8:47 pm EDT
Beauty Mike - thanks for posting ! :-) BTW - caught some drakes on my window screen the other day here in the Fenton area.

Quick Reply