Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Skwala (Perlodidae) (Large Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This Skwala nymph still has a couple months left to go before hatching, but it's still a good representative of its species, which was extremely abundant in my sample for a stonefly of this size. It's obvious why the Yakima is known for its Skwala hatch.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
A bit bigger than the ones I caught last weekend...17"
The millpond, trusty Jeep Compass on the other side
US Highway 23 is right on the other side of the guardrail...talk about easy access!
Found myself a wee bit undergunned...6' 6" 2-weight
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 4, 2020May 4th, 2020, 2:16 am EDT
Of all the places to pop a nice one! This is literally right off the highway just north of the middle of town. I have heard of occasional stockings of this pond, and it has a nice little brookie stream feeding out of a nice thick cedar swamp for holdovers to hide in...took a #10 KBF in brown and red with gold bead-chain eyes, and swallowed it whole, had it stuck in the roof of it's mouth like a bass would. Fought like hell on my new 2-weight! Not a bad start to my season, huh? More to come!

Tight lines to all!!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on May 4, 2020May 4th, 2020, 6:53 am EDT
Jonathon, nice fish man! I was hoping the weather would be more cooperative, but alas no, I live in Michigan. So, Im heading up to fish my favorite branch of a very pretty river, snow or not. I was hoping a warm up would get fish looking up and I could leave the nymphing rod at the car, but it looks like nymphing and maybe some streamers are in the forecast for this week. I hope my waders are a little less leaky, as patched some spots, and bought a wash soap for waders. I shall see, if not, new waders! I really hope all of you troutnuts are able to get out and do this thing we love safely, I really don't think social distanceing is problem for most of us.
Take care, Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 5, 2020May 5th, 2020, 4:35 am EDT
We're supposed to drop into the 20's F tonight, Mike, so I'd keep the nymphs and streamers handy...gonna be a while before we see much dry-fly activity. Though, they were surfacing at the millpond...time for a #10 Royal Wulff?

Tight lines Mike!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply