Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 15 pictures. The message is below.
Though I didn't set them up like this, here's the two travel telescopes I took and tested on the trip
This room cost me $1299 for seven nights
Self-explanitory
Yep, that guy wants some fish already
Restaurant where I had the conch chowder with tarpon @ the World Wide Sportsman on Islamorada
No words necessary
Ron with his two new best friends
Don't leave me alone too long you bastard!!!  I'm a people kitty!
My Outfitters Bonefish Pack finally reaches self-actualization...well, almost
Doesn't have to be a bonefish, snapper will do!  Hell, I'll take a cowfish!
Vanilla tea steeping, getting ready for the day
"He was a buffalo trunkfish...he was kinda like a cow fish...he was a buffalo trunk fish...at the 7 Mile Bridge..." (You all know the Bob Marley song)
Under da gumbo-limbo tree! Ya mon, much respect!
Been sitting in a car too long?  I was!!
Tropical vegetation in the parking lot, including I think Jamaica thatchpalm...plant life was fascinating and incredibly diverse
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 17, 2020March 17th, 2020, 11:29 am EDT
Here's the room at the Ranch House Hotel on Marathon Key & a few other odds and ends from the trip. Hunker down against the diseases and think of these warm scenes and adventures to get you through. Enjoy!

Jonathon

P.S. The telescopes are Sky-Watcher USA: 72 mm ED doublet refractor ($465, $400 on sale) & 127 mm Maksutov ($435, $400 on sale). Both made Venus look beautiful at high power (OK, I did have some pretty blue & violet filters in too)
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 18, 2020March 18th, 2020, 1:47 am EDT
Very cool Jonathon, looks so nice and sunny, and warm. It hasn't been a terrible winter here in Michigan, but Im so tired of gray skies. My son bought a telescope recently, its about the size of a small hot water heater! He and his wife are both lab techs at a very busy hospital in Flint, I worry about them. Hopefully we all get through this with as little damage as possible.
Take care, Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Mar 20, 2020March 20th, 2020, 1:27 pm EDT
Thanks, Jonathon. Love your photos!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Apr 2, 2020April 2nd, 2020, 1:24 pm EDT
Still healthy more than two weeks after pulling this trip off!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply