Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Kogotus (Perlodidae) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
This one pretty clearly keys to Kogotus, but it also looks fairly different from specimens I caught in the same creek about a month later in the year. With only one species of the genus known in Washington, I'm not sure about the answer to this ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 20 pictures. The message is below.
"I'm goin' down to the house in he woods..." - the late great Tom petty
As the place sat empty for a year, the wildlife moved in...right above the front door!
Four birds fledged out of this nest a few weeks after I moved in
Bird's-foot violets on my front lawn in june
Wild rose on the trails across the road in June
Hoary puccoon flowering back in June - these flowers are in a part of the Alpena State forest just to the north of me that appears to be managed as prairie or savanna
Blazing-stars blooming in the prairie, in an area that has since been burned
Western sunflower blooming in the prairie - this bloomed all along the road all summer long
What have wee here?  The headwaters of a trout stream...
...that further down looks like this
I have not fished this yet but you KNOW there's brookies in there!
There's all manner of delights in this little canyon, including wild cranberries and sundews...
...red sphagnum moss...
...and even orchids!  Ladies'-tresses, Spiranthes cernua
Not an orchid but just as beautiful, Indian-pipe coming up under jack pines
Prairie/savanna in the Alpena State Forest
Amazing mushroom with purple gills and violet mycelium (Laccaria trullisata) growing in pure sand
Mourning cloak, a butterfly that is often the first species I see in spring
I spotted this lovely little Augochlora bee on a still-blooming sprig of aster in front of my house
A gorgeous Amanita muscaria coming up next to my house
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 10, 2019October 10th, 2019, 9:30 am EDT
Well, between moving and working I haven't had a lot of energy this summer for fishing. I have, however, gotten in a few hikes around my vicinity with my trusty Nikon at the ready, so I thought I would share some of the local flora, fauna, and scenery. This is about 10 miles west of my former location...enjoy!

Jonathon

P.S. More to come...
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Oct 11, 2019October 11th, 2019, 12:25 pm EDT
Beautiful Jonathon, as I mentioned before my grandmother was born and raised in Mikado, and we spent many summer days on the Pine river, and other areas berry picking and all things folks used to do! My grandmother was a teacher for a while at the log cabin school house, which has now be moved to another location. I love that area, and Cedar lake, man were does time go?
Mike.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 24, 2019November 24th, 2019, 3:41 pm EST
Jonathon, just caught this. Gorgeous photos!! Thank you.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply