Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 11 pictures. The message is below.
Joe shooting a nice big wood lily
Joe's subject, Lilium philadelphicum
Blue vervain, Verbena hastate, always a favorite for that glowing blue-purple color
Hey, we're in Kirtland's Warbler habitat!
No trespassing!!!
Joe and I in front of his truck, old buddies of 38 years together again
Ah yes, the Pine
Armed and dangerous (to fish at least)
Yours truly with a few of the flies I have been throwing lately (but not enough!)
A great picture of Joe ready to hang something on the end of that rod!
Joe is feeling no pain (whatsoever) - his attempt to decompress from corporate work stress was highly successful
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jul 25, 2019July 25th, 2019, 6:17 am EDT
A few more pics of the boys having fun. And I love showing off how beautiful it is around here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Aug 7, 2019August 7th, 2019, 9:16 am EDT
Looks like some good summer fun!

But...Man! You need a new fishing hat!

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Aug 8, 2019August 8th, 2019, 6:44 am EDT
Duly noted again, Spence! (My birthday is 27 November and my hat size is 7 1/4...hint hint)

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply