Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 23, 2007August 23rd, 2007, 5:54 pm EDT
A couple days ago Canon announced a new "prosumer" level digital SLR camera, the long-awaited 40D. It's a major leap beyond the 20D and 30D, and it includes every feature improvement I had been hoping for and then some. I'll be selling my 20D and buying a 40D as soon as I can afford it. :)
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 24, 2007August 24th, 2007, 2:17 am EDT
Hey, Jason. Not being a camera buff but being married to one, what are the new features you particularly like? Also, you've seen some of the photos my wife's been taking, similar in some ways to those you like to take. Anything specific to that sort of photography that this camera improves?

(The reason I ask these things instead of just showing her the new camera link you posted is because I don't need her drooling over a $1300 upgrade unless it's pretty great. I mean, for $1300 we could probably upgrade both our cars...)

Thanks,
Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 24, 2007August 24th, 2007, 4:19 am EDT
The new features are better for action or landscape photography than what you guys are doing; the improvements to your photos would be marginal. I'll be happy to go over the new features I like in detail but I'm insanely busy today so it'll have to wait til Monday or later.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Wiflyfisher
Wiflyfisher's profile picture
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 11:43 am EDT
For a lot less moola, I am considering buying "Canon's EOS 400D Digital Rebel XTi ". The reviews seem pretty good... http://www.popphoto.com/camera_review/canon-eos_digital_rebel_xti.html and the pricing seems really good here: http://www.bestpricecameras.com/prodetails.aspx?prodid=713192.
Shawnny3
Pleasant Gap, PA

Shawnny3 on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 2:29 pm EDT
My wife has a slightly older version of the Rebel, and she likes it a lot. It only cost about $500 about a year ago, if memory serves.

I'm no photographer, but I know the lenses are probably even more important than the camera. A photographer friend (I'm thinking of someone else, but it could have been Jason) recommended when my wife bought hers that she spend less money on the body and more money on the lenses, since the body can always be upgraded later but you should be buying the lenses for the long-term. That strategy worked really well for us - she's got a very nice body and a really nice set of peripherals, all for about $1500. But we were talking about cameras, weren't we...

-Shawn
Jewelry-Quality Artistic Salmon Flies, by Shawn Davis
www.davisflydesigns.com
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 2:50 pm EDT
she's got a very nice body and a really nice set of peripherals,

Shawn, are you talking about your wife or the camera? :)
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 26, 2007August 26th, 2007, 2:53 pm EDT
BTW, how do you know what is or isn't a really good lens?
BxRxTxK
western NC

BxRxTxK on Aug 27, 2007August 27th, 2007, 12:43 pm EDT
I have a 400d canon rebel xti...
I got a bundle with a couple lenses and a big memory card for a good price, and I must say it has been super fun, and takes some really nice pictures...
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Aug 27, 2007August 27th, 2007, 12:49 pm EDT
Thanks for your input. It's great to hear from someone who already has one!
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Aug 28, 2007August 28th, 2007, 2:23 pm EDT
The Rebel XTi is a great camera I'm sure. My girlfriend has a Rebel XT, which is very similar, and the XTi introduced a couple of cool new features. I would recommend the Rebel line over the 20D/30D/40D line to most people, just because most probably won't invest enough time to take full advantage of the improvements the slightly more "pro" line gives you. The 40D will certainly be the best camera of the bunch, but the difference won't be worth the extra hundreds of dollars to most people.

I can't wait to get one, though!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Wiflyfisher
Wisconsin

Wiflyfisher on Sep 1, 2007September 1st, 2007, 4:14 am EDT
I ordered the Rebel XTi. I can't wait to get it!

Quick Reply