Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Female Sweltsa borealis (Chloroperlidae) (Boreal Sallfly) Stonefly Adult from Harris Creek in Washington
I was not fishing, but happened to be at an unrelated social event on a hill above this tiny creek (which I never even saw) when this stonefly flew by me. I assume it came from there. Some key characteristics are tricky to follow, but process of elimination ultimately led me to Sweltsa borealis. It is reassuringly similar to this specimen posted by Bob Newell years ago. It is also so strikingly similar to this nymph from the same river system that I'm comfortable identifying that nymph from this adult. I was especially pleased with the closeup photo of four mites parasitizing this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Report at a Glance

General RegionPennsylvania
Specific LocationCentral PA
Dates FishedApril 7, 2019
Time of Daymorning
Fish CaughtBrowns and a Bow
Conditions & HatchesGrannoms, Olives

Details and Discussion

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Apr 8, 2019April 8th, 2019, 3:40 pm EDT
After dealing with picky olive eaters for about a month we finally have grannoms. It's great to have bigger bugs and fish eager to go after them. Caught some fish that I could not interest in olives a week or so ago. From here on, the hatches just get better. Tight lines all!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Apr 9, 2019April 9th, 2019, 12:37 am EDT
I went up to Grayling Sunday for a nymph fishing class at Gates lodge, there some bugs starting to come on the river as we worked on technique. I stopped at the Rifle rive on the way home and there was also some bug activity going on. Water temp was 42 degrees, but it finally has turned to spring around here! Im looking forward to better things.
Mike.
Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Apr 9, 2019April 9th, 2019, 12:15 pm EDT
I don’t mean to thread jack, but how was the Rifle looking Mike? I’m thinking about heading up on the Thursday before Good Friday and fishing Friday morning.

After finally getting out on some water, I’m itching to get out again. I was extremely rusty to the point of embarrassment for the first 3 hours or so!

Bring on Spring!
From Michigan

Quick Reply