Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 7 pictures. The message is below.
Various PMD spinners
More Montana spinners
You think I like CDC caddis?
Various Hares Ear, Lightning Bugs, caddis pupa, and midge nymphs
More small nymphs
PMD emergers, Split back PMD nymphs, hunchback nymphs
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 10, 2019March 10th, 2019, 11:46 am EDT
A few weeks ago I made a comment about flies and fly boxes and organization to Jon, I mentioned that I would post up a few pictures of my C&F foam micro slit fly boxes. I have five C&F boxes with the middle swing page. Each box has 528 slits. I also have five C&F boxes without the swing leaf. Those boxes could hold up to 264 flies. These flies are just a very small portion of my entire fly collection, probably no more than 10%. I use the C&F boxes for fly sizes #16 - #20. Mostly nymphs and dry flies without hackle.

I'm beginning to think I enjoy tying more than the actual fishing. I can tie through every season and can listen to classical music, or rock & roll, while I tie. I never get frustrated or angry when I miss the "Big One". Hopefully as the weather warms up to the mid to upper 50's the "catching" bug will come over me and I'll get out on the rivers. Until than I'll just keep tying. I tied three dozen Euro nymphs since Friday.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 3:03 am EDT
Fabulous, Matt! I need to do the same, took a bunch of photos of my open boxes but haven't gotten them on here yet. It is very satisfying to open a bunch of fly boxes and admire your own work, especially when you've been doing it for a looooong time. And they even catch fish too!

Thanks for sharing!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 2:13 pm EDT
Love it, now we need some weather to get out and use the flies we have been tying!

Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 11, 2019March 11th, 2019, 4:20 pm EDT
Hi Mike,

I'm pretty sure I'm headed you to the Lake Erie streams for steelhead Wednesday through Friday. Looks like nice weather all three days, 50 - 60 degrees. If I go, and have success, I'll post some pictures.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.

Quick Reply