Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Neoleptophlebia (Leptophlebiidae) Mayfly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
Some characteristics from the microscope images for the tentative species id: The postero-lateral projections are found only on segment 9, not segment 8. Based on the key in Jacobus et al. (2014), it appears to key to Neoleptophlebia adoptiva or Neoleptophlebia heteronea, same as this specimen with pretty different abdominal markings. However, distinguishing between those calls for comparing the lengths of the second and third segment of the labial palp, and this one (like the other one) only seems to have two segments. So I'm stuck on them both. It's likely that the fact that they're immature nymphs stymies identification in some important way.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Srfwl has attached these 4 pictures to this report. The message is below.
We fished in August above Sparwood BC and found a nice braided area with small channels where we actually found the biggest fish. 

Watch video at https://youtu.be/f_WDPdD2Ty8
Ladin saw a big fish rise and made a great cast.
The Purple Haze floated perfectly and the fish came up bigger than life.
A beautiful Cutthroat. Over 20 inches.

We caught several large trout and many other nice fish. Mostly on the dry. The Elk is a fantastic 
River.

Report at a Glance

General RegionBritish Columbia
Specific LocationElk river
Dates FishedAugust 20, 2018
Time of DayAll Day
Fish CaughtCutthroat Trout
Conditions & HatchesMayfly Hatch

Details and Discussion

Srfwl
Srfwl's profile picture
WA

Srfwl on Dec 3, 2018December 3rd, 2018, 3:54 pm EST
Watch video at https://youtu.be/f_WDPdD2Ty8

Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Dec 3, 2018December 3rd, 2018, 11:42 pm EST
Beautiful country and fish, thanks for sharing.

Mike.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 4, 2018December 4th, 2018, 3:21 am EST
Just awesome looking smaller water. I would enjoy fishing there. Is it a destination you can drive to or do you have to walk quite a ways to reach that water?
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Srfwl
Srfwl's profile picture
WA

Srfwl on Dec 4, 2018December 4th, 2018, 11:10 am EST
It was a short walk from the car. There is quite a bit of good access on this river without too much of a walk. This was a braided area so the main river is pretty big but we still caught fish walk a wading the bigger water.
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Dec 5, 2018December 5th, 2018, 9:23 am EST
Thanks for the information. I'm somewhat handicapped and can only walk with the aid of a cane and not much more than about 250 yards without getting hip pain.

I looked it up on YouTube and their is a Asian fellow who has a channel "Fishing with Rod" and he has a neat video on the Elk River where he and some friends float it in Out Cast pontoon boats. They too found good fishing for 16" - 18" cutthroat in a side channel.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 6, 2018December 6th, 2018, 5:14 pm EST
Great video. Watching that big cutthroat rise made me want to get out. Now I can hardly wait for spring olives and grannoms.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply