Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 5 pictures to this report. The message is below.

Report at a Glance

General RegionElk Creek
Specific LocationVarious - from Uncle John's all the way to Folly's
Dates FishedNovember 04 - 08
Time of Day8:00 - 12:00 2:00 - 5:00
Fish CaughtMe Zero, my two friends you wwouldn't believe me!
Conditions & HatchesEgg flies, sucker spawn, Krystal Meth, and emerald shiner streamers

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Nov 13, 2018November 13th, 2018, 11:25 am EST
I didn't go on this trip as I had just returned the Wednesday prior and needed to do some fall clean-up and spend time with my wife.

I didn't go up last week but a friend from NY and another from NJ met at Elk and absolutely crushed the chrome. Most of their fishing was from Route 5 up to Folly's. One day they fished at what I call Cascade below Uncle John's. The last time I was there no fishing was permitted under the Route 20 bridge in Girard due to bridge repair. Makes sense since big pieces of concrete might fall off the bridge.

Back to the fishing my one friend is a skilled nympher and over the course of four days he hooked between 100 and 120 steelhead. He lost count and he does not BS. He had good success on the emerald shiner streamer and a light colored Krystal Meth; white, cream, light pink. The entire emerald shiner is tied with various colors of Ice Dub. I have found the eye is crucial to the success of the fly. We have fished side by side with one fly having the 3D eye and the other guy with the identical fly but no eye and the catch rate was easily at least 3:1.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 16, 2018November 16th, 2018, 12:07 pm EST
Damn Matt, that is a cool report, I bought a switch rod a couple years ago for steelheading. The problem being the rivers I used to fish as a young guy are better fished out of boat by an old guy, that being me! I really want to swing some streamers for these guys I figure this out, and seeing these pics are getting motivated.
Hookie
Hookie's profile picture
Jeremy Limerick

Hookie on Dec 29, 2018December 29th, 2018, 10:26 am EST
Been wanting to head up, I used to spend 80-90 days in Erie chasing steel but that was before having a family. Looks like you guys were into plenty of fish thanks for the report!
Love 2 Nymph!!!

Quick Reply