Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Artistic view of a Perlodidae (Springflies and Yellow Stones) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to lead to Couplet 35 of the Key to Genera of Perlodidae Nymphs and the genus Isoperla, but I'm skeptical that's correct based on the general look. I need to get it under the microscope to review several choices in the key, and it'll probably end up a different Perlodidae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 11 pictures. The message is below.
A picture of my kayak on wheels for David
Close-up on the wheels and bungi cords - quick and easy!
There were magnificent - and fragrant - wild rose bushes blooming on the shore
They smelled as sweet as they look
Irises are in full bloom everywhere now
Skullcap (Scutellaria sp.) growing on the bank
Can't complain about the scenery either
I even caught a few fish!  The big guy of the night - he's still swimming because none of his buddies wanted to come out and play
Roundleaf sundew (Drosera rotundifolia) - a genuine carnivorous plant, in the same family as Venus flytraps
Starflower (Trientalis borealis) is blooming everywhere now too
Bog laurel (Kalmia angustifolia) - this place has a lot of bog vegetation
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 20, 2018June 20th, 2018, 12:22 pm EDT
Had to heave the "banana boat" up on the Jeep sooner or later, and my back isn't even bothering me today! It finally took its maiden voyage for the year, out on good old [REDACTED] Pond. Once gain, the flowers were spectacular, but the fish were being finicky and hard to hook besides. There was a major midge hatch going on, something in the size 22 or smaller skimming across the waters and little brookies leaping out of the water after them. Some were not so little from the amount of water they moved...only brought two perch and two brookies to hand, the second perch taking a cricket-pattern dry fly! The first one was very colorful, as you can see from the photo. the brookies were certainly pretty too, but my camera battery ran out before I could shoot the larger one (9")...plus I missed some terrific sunset shots, the whole lake lit up in orange and pink.

I will be back there soon - as the waters warm the brookies all swarm into the ice-cold feeder creek and fall readily victim to my hoppers. And I know there has to be a couple of real bruisers in there somewhere, like I finally found in Reid Lake...saw a variety of other insects besides the midges, several different sizes and colors of both mayflies and caddisflies, but no major hatching except for the midges. I got a few fish to respond to a #16 caddis with black body & hackle and grey wings, and a few to hit the cricket.

At least I'm finally getting out there again! When I finally get to the Rifle I'm sure I'll have some bigger fish to show off. And probably more flowers...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 22, 2018June 22nd, 2018, 4:00 am EDT
Ok cool, is it easy to wheel it long distances if you have to?

Thanks Johnathon

David
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 22, 2018June 22nd, 2018, 4:03 am EDT
Nice post , sounds like a beautiful place to fish 😊
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 22, 2018June 22nd, 2018, 7:30 am EDT
David, every fall I drag the kayak in and out of Reid Lake, which is one mile from the parking lot. Yeah, it's work, especially at my age (54 now), but the rewards for making the hike are BIG-ass perch and rainbows! Plus spectacular fall colors, bald eagles, trumpeter swans, etc. This particular place I'm showing here is only 500 feet from the parking lot to the launch, and yes, it is really beautiful, one of my favorite places to fish. I once fed my parents a nice fresh perch lunch from this lake! And the eagles are here too, plus LOTS of bears during blueberry season (there's loads of blueberry bushes under all the pines). I have never seen them, but I have heard some pretty loud grunts, in some cases probably right behind an alder thicket. I NEVER go ashore when I hear them! And I have heard as many as three grunting at each other from different directions. What are they saying? "These are MY blueberries, you stay over there!" No problem here!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply