Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Grammotaulius betteni (Limnephilidae) (Northern Caddisfly) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This is a striking caddis larva with an interesting color pattern on the head. Here are some characteristics I was able to see under the microscope, but could not easily expose for a picture:
- The prosternal horn is present.
- The mandible is clearly toothed, not formed into a uniform scraper blade.
- The seems to be only 2 major setae on the ventral edge of the hind femur.
- Chloride epithelia seem to be absent from the dorsal side of any abdominal segments.
Based on these characteristics and the ones more easily visible from the pictures, this seems to be Grammotaulius. The key's description of the case is spot-on: "Case cylindrical, made of longitudinally arranged sedge or similar leaves," as is the description of the markings on the head, "Dorsum of head light brownish yellow with numerous discrete, small, dark spots." The spot pattern on the head is a very good match to figure 19.312 of Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019). The species ID is based on Grammotaulius betteni being the only species of this genus known in Washington state.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Summer_doug has attached these 3 pictures to this report. The message is below.
The fish below was caught on this cast.
Personal best brookie so far.
Another caught on the first cast of the day!

Report at a Glance

Time of Day8am to 3pm
Fish CaughtBrook Trout
Conditions & HatchesNone

Details and Discussion

Summer_doug
Detroit, MI

Summer_doug on Jun 18, 2018June 18th, 2018, 11:01 pm EDT
Was able to take a couple new fly fishermen to the Mason Tract on the south branch where we targeted primarily brook trout. Although we saw what appeared to be some sporadic sulphurs hatching, none of the fish were caught on that pattern. Instead, the patriot ruled the day accounting for 7 of the ten fish caught.

Nothing of substantial size, but absolutely beautiful fish and environs.
From Michigan
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 19, 2018June 19th, 2018, 4:44 am EDT
Nice looking water! And brookies are always so pretty...well done!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 19, 2018June 19th, 2018, 11:17 am EDT
Nice work. Thanks!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 20, 2018June 20th, 2018, 1:00 am EDT
Well done, nice looking fish.
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 20, 2018June 20th, 2018, 1:51 pm EDT
Nice! I love me some brookies.

Ya know, I'm on my 4th year of fly fishing in MI and I still haven't gone to the trout stretches of the Au Sable yet... I think this summer will be the time.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless

Quick Reply