Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Limnephilidae (Giant Sedges) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen resembled several others of around the same size and perhaps the same species, which were pretty common in my February sample from the upper Yakima. Unfortunately, I misplaced the specimen before I could get it under a microscope for a definitive ID.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached these 9 pictures to this report. The message is below.
Wisconisco Smallmouth.  Caught a dozen this size on a red BH Black Bugger while trout fishing the Ned Smith water.

Report at a Glance

General RegionSusquehanna River
Specific LocationBelow Harrisburg and above the Maryland line
Dates FishedMid July to late October
Time of Day8 - 2
Fish CaughtSmallmouth
Conditions & Hatchesminnow hatch, crayfish hatch, Luekon blizzard emergence at dusk, Brown drake if you stay to dark

Details and Discussion

Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jun 16, 2018June 16th, 2018, 11:01 am EDT
A bunch of older pictures that may have been posted up, or not, before.

WARNING if seeing pictures of non fly fishing gear offends the sensibilities of any Troutnut Forum member please be advised to not scroll down any further. I often make forays onto the Dark Side while pursuing Micropterus dolomieu.

I have many more pictures of 18" - 20" smallmouth but don't want to over do it with my ego hero shots.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 17, 2018June 17th, 2018, 12:32 pm EDT
Beautiful pictures Matt, I love smallies and used to do pretty good on the ausable above five channels dam, my wifes family had a cabin there and we had blast back in the day. As hot as the tempture is getting so early in the summer smallies may be a good option. I know Jonathon does really well on smallies below five channels, and really loves the fishing there. Im going to give it a go if the trout fishing becomes a no go because of water temp. Thanks for some great pics.

Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 17, 2018June 17th, 2018, 2:43 pm EDT
Oh yeah, those tiger-striped bronzebacks! Nice work Matt, and I bet a nice workout too! Those guys are brutes, they make largemouth look lazy, even give a rainbow of similar size a run for their money. I see a couple on flies there, Matt.

As Mike says, it's just about time for me to hit Cooke below Five Channels, should be plenty of hatching going on there now and we are probably not far from Hex hatches with this latest heat wave. I hid in my air conditioning all day and let the tourists feed the deer flies (they love this hot weather, so I imagine the downstaters got munched pretty bad). Tomorrow or Tuesday though, depending on weather, will be my next foray - gotta hit the Rifle, [REDACTED] Pond, and Cooke to complete my first round of fishing.

Tight lines whatever you are after!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 17, 2018June 17th, 2018, 4:34 pm EDT
Nice fish, Matt!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Adirman
Adirman's profile picture
Monticello, NY

Adirman on Jun 18, 2018June 18th, 2018, 1:23 am EDT
Nice pics my friend !! Looks like you had a nice time 😊