Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Poproque has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
This is the lot of stuff to sell. Some of the feathers were obviously no good so I tossed them. The feathers flat on the table were in his fly tying tackle box.
Poproque
Southern California

Poproque on Mar 1, 2018March 1st, 2018, 7:18 am EST
This is the lot of stuff I need help with a valuation. Thank you!
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 1, 2018March 1st, 2018, 10:18 am EST
Poproque,

After looking at all your pictures of the flies and fly tying material I sincerely doubt you could get $40 for the entire lot. The flies in the cardboard box on the right side of the picture are beginner quality with no value. Like I said earlier I would suggest donating them to some Boy Scouts fly tying class, Casting for Recovery, or just keeping a few items for yourself as momentos.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Poproque
Southern California

Poproque on Mar 1, 2018March 1st, 2018, 1:14 pm EST
Thank you so much. I found a local charity that teaches not so fortunate kids to fish so that is what I will most likely do with the package. I truly appreciate you honest input!!
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 2, 2018March 2nd, 2018, 5:36 am EST
Poproque,

You are most welcome. I felt it important to tell you the true value of the goods rather than an inflated unrealistic one.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Mar 5, 2018March 5th, 2018, 12:58 am EST
To those who don't know Matt, he will always give you an honest answer, whether you like it or not! And yes, Matt, this is intended to be a compliment!

;oD

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Mar 5, 2018March 5th, 2018, 9:19 am EST
Hi Jonathon,

To those who don't know Matt, he will always give you an honest answer, whether you like it or not! And yes, Matt, this is intended to be a compliment

Thanks Jon, I appreciate your comment. I don't believe in sugar coating comments and then people get their high hopes dashed when they go to sell the items.

Quick Reply