Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Holocentropus (Polycentropodidae) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This one seems to tentatively key to Holocentropus, although I can't make out the anal spines in Couplet 7 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae nor the dark bands in Couplet 4 of the Key to Genera of Polycentropodidae Larvae, making me wonder if I went wrong somewhere in keying it out. I don't see where that could have happened, though. It might also be that it's a very immature larva and doesn't possess all the identifying characteristics in the key yet. If Holocentropus is correct, then Holocentropus flavus and Holocentropus interruptus are the two likely possibilities based on range, but I was not able to find a description of their larvae.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
Didn't know a hopper would work this late in the year!
Fall colors are late this year, but better late than never (i.e., brown)
Too bad this doesn't last long
Muskie bait??  Biggest freakin' golden shiner I've ever seen in my life, bent the rod too!
A beautiful fishing spot only adds to the sweetness of success
Last and best of the trip, just an inch shy of the frying pan - hit the fly while I was reeling in
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Oct 23, 2016October 23rd, 2016, 5:18 pm EDT
Unlike most fall days, our winds died down today to practically nothing. And with temps in the mid- to upper-50s F, today seemed like a perfect day to take the kayak out while it's still not too cold to do so. Plus, our fall colors are just about at peak right now, so I wanted to get out for a good look. Where to go? Why Reid Lake, of course, surrounded by maples and oaks and full of perch and rainbows! So off I went, kayak on the roof, up F-41 and US 72 for a very nice color display, really bright right now. And the shores of the lake weren't too bad either, as you can see...Having caught soooo many nice perch (and a few rainbows including a 16-incher) on streamers last fall, that's what I went with first. Well, same as last time, next to nothing hit my streamer. But then I saw a fish rise near shore, and he moved enough water to probably not just be a minnow...on went a #10 hopper, and after a few tentative nips a 10" rainbow grabbed it good and bent the rod over! Dry fly trout with only 8 days to go until November! With the lake like glass, I continued throwing said hopper around until I left, and ended up catching a total of 8 rainbows, the biggest being 11" and therefore all went back in (I do keep them here because it's stocked with 1300-1500 rainbows every spring). This is the first time EVER I have caught trout consistently on this lake, in the past they've been random scattered amongst a lot of perch, but today I had them figured out good. Not only that, but I do believe I just caught my own personal best golden shiner ever, at least this is about the biggest one I have ever seen! He liked the hopper too...

DANG I hope we get a few more decent days!!! Sometimes fall fishing is the best.

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...

Quick Reply