Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Setvena wahkeena (Perlodidae) (Wahkeena Springfly) Stonefly Nymph from Mystery Creek #199 in Washington
As far as I can tell, this species has only previously been reported from one site in Oregon along the Columbia gorge. However, the key characteristics are fairly unmistakable in all except for one minor detail:
— 4 small yellow spots on frons visible in photos
— Narrow occipital spinule row curves forward (but doesn’t quite meet on stem of ecdysial suture, as it's supposed to in this species)
— Short spinules on anterior margin of front legs
— Short rposterior row of blunt spinules on abdominal tergae, rather than elongated spinules dorsally
I caught several of these mature nymphs in the fishless, tiny headwaters of a creek high in the Wenatchee Mountains.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Wbranch has attached this picture. The message is below.
Morning Tricos at the Beaver Hut
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 9:52 am EDT
I'm curious to learn where the picture that appears on the banner of the web site was taken. It looks a lot like a section of the main stem of the Delaware. As a matter of fact now that I've looked at it more closely I know exactly where it was taken as I have fished the tail out often and my friends and I named the area below the two wading anglers "Rainbow Run".
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 12:22 pm EDT
That shot is almost "heavenly" isn't it?
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 2:50 pm EDT
I'd be curious if anyone knows the name of the pool where the pontoon boats are waiting? I know what it as I've fished there since the early 1970's. I like to see if I can figure out where a picture is taken on rivers I've fished.
IEatimago
Spring Mills, PA

IEatimago on Jul 29, 2007July 29th, 2007, 6:22 pm EDT
i have never fished a river that big,ever.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 5:40 am EDT
I hate to expose my ignorance, but where is the Beaver Hut? It looks like Trico Paradise to me.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 7:10 am EDT
Louis,

The "Beaver Hut" is on a side channel of the Missouri River near Holter Dam. The "channel" is pretty wide by most standards and likely to be about 100' wide. But compared to the main flow at about 400 feet wide it is still has an intimate feel to it. It has many 18" - 20" browns and rainbows in it as well as some over 20".
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Jul 30, 2007July 30th, 2007, 7:12 am EDT
In case anyone is interested the location of the banner picture (that was up yesterday) is the tail of the Bard-Parker Pool on the main stem of the Delaware.
JOHNW
JOHNW's profile picture
Chambersburg, PA

JOHNW on Jul 31, 2007July 31st, 2007, 9:52 am EDT
Ok dumb question is Bard Parker also the bottom end of Junction/Second Heaven? Right around where the channels break off on river left?
JW
"old habits are hard to kill once you have gray in your beard" -Old Red Barn
Wbranch
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 4, 2007August 4th, 2007, 5:20 pm EDT
JohnW,

Bard-Parker is the pool that starts at the end of the riffle water about 100 yards below the confluence of the West Branch and East Branch. There is a large NYS parking area on the left side of the river as you float downstream. B-P is accessible from Rte 97 just south of Hancock, NY.

Quick Reply