Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Dorsal view of a Amphizoa (Amphizoidae) Beetle Larva from Sears Creek in Washington
This is the first of it's family I've seen, collected from a tiny, fishless stream in the Cascades. The three species of this genus all live in the Northwest and are predators that primarily eat stonefly nymphs Merritt R.W., Cummins, K.W., and Berg, M.B. (2019).
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 8 pictures. The message is below.
Spreading dogbane (Apocynum adrosaemifolium) at the parking lot
From the bridge at Rearing Pond Road
No, put away that 9-footer, get out your short stick(s)
Tall meadow rue (Thalictrum dasycarpum)
Canada anemone (Anemone Canadensis - surprised?) was blooming all over the place
This is a great place to practice your roll casting!
Gorgeous iris
Success at last!  Fell for a #10 cricket pattern in the last hole of the night
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 29, 2016June 29th, 2016, 7:40 pm EDT
From bruiser smallmouth to the opposite extreme...but both very enjoyable nevertheless. Not a highly productive evening with only 4 fish (3 rainbows and the brookie) but I got a lot of sloppy strikes, mostly from smaller ones probably. I have noticed a tendency especially on this stream for small fish to overshoot and either go airborne or flop around all over the place...but such a beautiful place, wildflowers all along the banks, ruffed grouse drumming in the background, whippoorwills calling as I was heading back down to the car...and NO deerflies and perhaps all of 3 mosquitos all night, unbelievable. However, I didn't see much of any kind of insect life, probably why the fishing wasn't more exciting...but I did get to "brush up" on my roll casting technique (pun intended!).

This is the Pine River that Mike (Partsman) and Tim (TimCat) and I are always talking about, and I've posted other pictorials on this pretty little stream in previous seasons. As I have said on here before, the variety of fishing in this area is staggering.

Enjoy!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Jun 30, 2016June 30th, 2016, 10:55 am EDT
Love that river! Love those pretty little Brookies too! Not the best fishery but it doesn't seem to get a lot of pressure and it is definitely cast-able compared to other streams of similar size. I also like that there aren't any kayaks on that stretch because they don't clear the deadfall.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Jun 30, 2016June 30th, 2016, 4:27 pm EDT
Jonathon,lovely pics, number 2 is were I went swimming opening week. I went up to rifle this morning, man it was cold, like 39 degrees. Fishing was slow, I was on Houghton creek before daylight, might as well slept in. Got some down stream. Really liking Peters rd. area. But it might be time to expand my horizons, always wanted to fish ausable upstream, just nervous about being around to many peeps. I don't know getting to old to care better go for it.

Mike.
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Jun 30, 2016June 30th, 2016, 7:56 pm EDT
Glad you enjoyed the photos, gentlemen. Tim, I had some pretty good fishing in this stream back in 2012, plenty of brookies up to 11" and rainbows in abundance up to 14". The last few years it has been hard to break 9" on anything, except for a 12" brookie in 2014. I did notice, however, with the water being down I could see a LOT of undercut banks in this stretch of the river. Makes me wonder if there are more and bigger ones than meets the eye, but they may only come out to play at night...which is NOT when I want to be there, too many ways to go face first into the river and too many alders that you can no longer see...

Mike, I know what you mean about too many peeps. I prefer solitude when I am fishing or maybe a buddy or two, not crowds. I beat the crowds tonight at Cooke Pond again and, in spite of no hatches, got 2 smallies on top, one a 14-incher on a popper and a 17.5" on the old secret weapon, a #6 Royal Wulff. Now the tourists can have it all for the next 4 days...

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Steps25
Steps25's profile picture
Connecticut

Steps25 on Jul 17, 2016July 17th, 2016, 8:46 am EDT
Nice pics!

Quick Reply