Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Martinlf has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Indian paintbrush?
Shooting star.
Shooting star cluster.  These were at the foot of a little waterfall.
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 26, 2016May 26th, 2016, 9:45 am EDT
I forgot these in the report. There were many others we didn't photograph, but these were very beautiful.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on May 26, 2016May 26th, 2016, 12:52 pm EDT
Louis, Indian Paintbrush it is! Don't ask me which species, as there are many, but I do have a book of Arizona wildflowers from when I was there in 2006, so I might be able to put a species name on it. Shooting stars are very cool, I haven't seen the purple ones but I did see a white species out in Corvalis, Oregon. Thanks for sharing!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on May 26, 2016May 26th, 2016, 6:08 pm EDT
Jonathon, I'd seen the white shooting stars as a child in Tennessee. My dad showed them to me out in the woods near our favorite river. It was so exciting to find the purple ones! They were intense.

--Fred Chappell
Marvinforte
Marvinforte's profile picture
Phoenix, Arizona

Marvinforte on May 31, 2016May 31st, 2016, 8:49 am EDT
"White flowers get no respect"
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Jun 4, 2016June 4th, 2016, 7:14 am EDT
Yeah, we saw bunches of them, and yellow ones too, that never got a photo. But those shooting stars were stunning.

--Fred Chappell
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Dec 26, 2016December 26th, 2016, 1:40 am EST
Ed, you might enjoy these also.

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply