Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Jmd123 has attached these 3 pictures. The message is below.
Big fat 16-incher, my biggest trout of the year (so far)
Tonight's haul...who's hungry??
The fly of the day
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 3:40 pm EST
I have been fishing this lake for over 4 years and have never gotten any decent trout...until now! For the last month I have been taking the kayak out here with my 5-weight and some #6 KBFs and hauling in the perch like crazy, up to 12" long. A few trout too, bigger than any in previous years, used to get just scrawny little ones but in the past month some I got three between 10.5 and 11.5 inches, and lost one considerably bigger that whacked a KBF right next to the boat!

Well, today the big one didn't come loose, and I boated this beautiful 16-incher on a #6 KBF in standard grey and silver with some rainbow flash thrown in for good measure. No, I didn't release it, this is a stocker (planted at 6-7") in a lake with no inlet or outlet, and therefore no spawning habitat. The most amazing thing about this fish was what came out of it's stomach when I cleaned it: SNAILS! That's right, a while bunch of snails came out all over the deck like pebbles when I stuck the knife into him. Like 90% of his stomach contents were snails, mostly Planorbidae with their flattened spires but a few other species as well. The only insects I saw were a couple of backswimmers and one leaf-footed bug. Got three perch too, those also went into the freezer...

Biggest danged trout I've caught all year, nice to be out still catching fish in November!! We have a few more days of nice (low 60s F) weather ahead so I'll be back out there again on Wednesday (have to teach tomorrow). And ice fishing there this winter!!

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Steps25
Steps25's profile picture
Connecticut

Steps25 on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 3:53 pm EST
Beauty
Partsman
Partsman's profile picture
bancroft michigan

Partsman on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 4:54 pm EST
Nice job Jonathon, looks like rainbow on the Barbie!

Mike.
Creno
Grants Pass, OR

Creno on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 5:42 pm EST
The perch are the dream for us folks who no longer live in that part of the world!
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 5:52 pm EST
Thanks, guys. The perch are pretty tasty from this lake (and around here in general). The flesh on the rainbow is salmon-pink...still couldn't believe the number of snails inside of it, like it was full of gravel...fond remembrances of trout chow pellets from it's distant past in the hatchery??

Jonathon
No matter how big the one you just caught is, there's always a bigger one out there somewhere...
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 5:58 pm EST
Nice work, Jonathon!
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
TimCat
TimCat's profile picture
Alanson, MI

TimCat on Nov 2, 2015November 2nd, 2015, 7:32 pm EST
Nice catch. Didn't think trout ate snails like that. I've heard the MDNR will sometimes introduce pumpkinseed panfish if there is a muscle or snail overpopulation in some places... maybe they should consider rainbows

BTW that KBF pattern looks nice, like a bugger meets a clouser minnow or something.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" - Bob Lawless
Feathers5
Feathers5 on Nov 3, 2015November 3rd, 2015, 4:55 am EST
I have been fishing this lake for over 4 years and have never gotten any decent trout...until now! For the last month I have been taking the kayak out here with my 5-weight and some #6 KBFs and hauling in the perch like crazy, up to 12" long. A few trout too, bigger than any in previous years, used to get just scrawny little ones but in the past month some I got three between 10.5 and 11.5 inches, and lost one considerably bigger that whacked a KBF right next to the boat!

Well, today the big one didn't come loose, and I boated this beautiful 16-incher on a #6 KBF in standard grey and silver with some rainbow flash thrown in for good measure. No, I didn't release it, this is a stocker (planted at 6-7") in a lake with no inlet or outlet, and therefore no spawning habitat. The most amazing thing about this fish was what came out of it's stomach when I cleaned it: SNAILS! That's right, a while bunch of snails came out all over the deck like pebbles when I stuck the knife into him. Like 90% of his stomach contents were snails, mostly Planorbidae with their flattened spires but a few other species as well. The only insects I saw were a couple of backswimmers and one leaf-footed bug. Got three perch too, those also went into the freezer...

Biggest danged trout I've caught all year, nice to be out still catching fish in November!! We have a few more days of nice (low 60s F) weather ahead so I'll be back out there again on Wednesday (have to teach tomorrow). And ice fishing there this winter!!

Jonathon

Nice catch. For what does KBF stand?
Jmd123
Jmd123's profile picture
Oscoda, MI

Jmd123 on Nov 3, 2015November 3rd, 2015, 5:30 pm EST
Bruce and Tim, KBF stands for Killer Bass Fly, which got it's name after I landed a 20" 5-lb. largemouth on it in Texas. It has caught many more big bass for me since, not to mention plenty of perch and an increasing number of trout. Tim is sorta right that it is somewhat between a Woolly Bugger and a Clouser Minnow. My original inspiration was a steelhead fly called the Comet, which has the same basic construction but is tied in bright orange and yellow and with flat tinsel and bucktail. I use grizzly marabou topped with Krystal Flash for the tail, tinsel chenille for the body (if a fish hits it and lets go, tiny fragments of tinsel come off that look like scales), a webby grizzly hackle collar tied coned back, and bead-chain for lighter/smaller ones and dumbells for bigger/heavier ones.

Can't tell you how many danged fish I've caught on this fly over the last ten years, including several personal records (of which this trout was one)...

Jonathon

Illustrations follow:

http://www.troutnut.com/topic/8016/KBF-photos-for-Kyle-and-others
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 3, 2015November 3rd, 2015, 7:27 pm EST
Nice job, Jonathon...Spending time on the water pays off.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply