Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on May 30, 2012May 30th, 2012, 6:40 pm EDT
Congratulations on the paper, Luke! Thanks for all your hard work and sharing it with us.

This study certainly presents a can of worms.

Well, I guess it has to be opened. No sense us anglers pretending it's not there (though I can't say I'm looking forward to the editing on the hatch pages that's probably gonna be required). :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on May 31, 2012May 31st, 2012, 4:56 am EDT
Wow! Thanks, Luke. It's a big world, esp when we're looking at small critters.
Jmw975
Guelph, Ontario

Jmw975 on May 31, 2012May 31st, 2012, 6:34 pm EDT
Thanks for posting this here Luke, and thanks to everyone who provided specimens for the project through Luke!

Jeff
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Jun 1, 2012June 1st, 2012, 5:48 pm EDT
Here are some now published results from the request I put out a few years ago. This study certainly presents a can of worms. Thank you to all who helped by sending a few specimens. I regret we could not name everyone in text. Happy reading.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0038063

Very nice, Luke. The paper provides (116) State and Province distributions of which I was previously unaware. Although that's not the purpose of the paper, it's extremely helpful to me none-the-less, and I really appreciate your having shared it. See N. American Mayfly Distribution Query.

Jodea
Jodea's profile picture
Galway city Ireland

Jodea on May 10, 2013May 10th, 2013, 8:02 am EDT
hi Konchu ,, could you cast your eye on this for me , its may especially for collecting mayfly .. please watch the intro video and give your honest opinion on it if/when you have time
www.thejodea.com

thank you
Jodea
Jodea
Jodea's profile picture
Galway city Ireland

Jodea on May 10, 2013May 10th, 2013, 8:05 am EDT
here is the video link .; perhaps copy and paste it as im not yet sure how to attach the klink here ... thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GRgB43lvG8

Quick Reply