Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Dorsal view of a Sweltsa (Chloroperlidae) (Sallfly) Stonefly Nymph from the Yakima River in Washington
This species was fairly abundant in a February sample of the upper Yakima.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached these 2 pictures. The message is below.
Straight, ironed zelon...BRF actually has women who iron it straight.
Spence trying to steal some flies from Craig Mathews...:)
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Jun 16, 2015June 16th, 2015, 10:24 am EDT
I had a really hectic May and haven't been able to post here, so I'm making up for lost time...Poor you! :)

I have to get speakers for the MFFC meetings and the banquet we have in May.

I was lucky enough to talk Craig Mathews from Blue Ribbon Flies fame...and the Sparkle Dun, and the X-Caddis, etc...to speak at our banquet. He grew up here in Michigan and has a couple Master's degrees from MSU in Lansing.

He stayed here with my wife and I and she made a lasagna dinner the night before the banquet evening and we had a great time sitting around the dinner table listening to his fishing stories.

Actually, his stories of his time as the chief of police in West Yellowstone need to be put in a book. They are hilarious! He could be our next Voelker and "Trout Madness"...I won't ruin his stories, if they do make it to print, but the night he met Jack Gartside, now that story for sure needs to be written down...I laughed my ass off!

Anyway...It was great to have him here. He did a tying class for about 25 of us and then did a talk at our banquet on some of the less visited fishing spots in Yellowstone Park...Great pictures.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply