Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Oldredbarn has attached this picture. The message is below.
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 29, 2014November 29th, 2014, 10:17 am EST
November 29, 2014

Special Announcement:

Funeral information for Chris Helm
Chris' wife Judy has passed on Chris' funeral arrangements:

VISITATION: Tuesday from 2pm until 8pm - will be held at Walker Funeral Home, 5155 W. Sylvania Ave. Toledo, OH 43623

MEMERIAL SERVICE: Wednesday at 11am - will be held at Grace Lutheran Church, 4441 Monroe St. Toledo, OH 43613

IN MEMORY: please consider sending a contribution to:

• Dr. Steven Treon- RESEARCH, c/o Dana Farber Cancer Institute, 450 Brookline Ave M548, Boston, MA 02215
• International Federation of Fly Fishers- YOUTH, 5237 U.S. Highway 89 South Suite 11, Livingston, MT 59047
• Promedica Hospice, 5200 Harroun Rd, Sylvania, OH 43560

OBITUARY: Judy has asked for a SUNDAY release - please view the Toledo Blade accordingly. www.toledoblade.com

(Note: You should be able to tap on the link above to go to the newspaper. Remembering that the obit is not due for publication until tomorrow.)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Nov 29, 2014November 29th, 2014, 10:33 am EST
I know that not everyone that visits this site is aware of Chris Helm. He is the guy that introduced a great many of us to spinning deer hair flies. Over the years he produced many DVD's on deer hair flies.

His shop, Whitetail Fly Shop, run from his home in Toledo Ohio was a landmark for many tyers from Michigan (Detroit area especially) and Ohio. He was a fixture at many fly tying expositions.

He processed his own hides and there is probably no one with his knowledge of deer hair, tying threads, and fly tying in general.

When you called or stopped in his shop, his first question was, "What exactly are you trying to do?" Then he would walk you through the process from beginning to end.

I once called him, after reading his catalog, and asked about some thread he had said was his favorite for spinning hair. I told him I'd take it in every color he had. His reply, "Spence. Stop reading my catalog so closely! Once you tie the fly and spin the hair you can't see the thread anyway...You only need it in one color." Saved me a few bucks.

Last year I had him in to the Michigan Fly Fishing Club as a speaker. I helped him carry in several complete deer hides. They were beautiful! I offered, on the way out, to deposit one in the back of my truck, but he wasn't having it. :)

He was a wonderful asset to the craft of fly tying. A mellow, thoughtful man. Always helpful and there was always a crowd around his table at tying functions watching him tie his wonderful flies.

Spence

"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Nov 29, 2014November 29th, 2014, 4:37 pm EST
Ave atque vale. Chris was a great guy, and I am sad to know he is gone. He was always helpful and he sent me some special order deer hair just before closing up his shop. Thanks for posting this, Spence.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell

Quick Reply