Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Millcreek has attached these 6 pictures. The message is below.
March 28, 2014. Mature female nymph. Live specimen. 7 mm (excluding cerci).
March 28, 2014. Immature male nymph. Live specimen. 6 mm (excluding cerci).
March 28, 2014. Immature female nymph. Live specimen. 7 mm (excluding cerci).
February 15, 2014. Mature male nymph. 7 mm (excluding cerci). In alcohol.
February 15, 2014. Mature female nymph. 7 mm (excluding cerci). In alcohol.
February 15, 2014. Mature female nymph. 7 mm (excluding cerci). In alcohol.
Millcreek
Healdsburg, CA

Millcreek on Oct 3, 2014October 3rd, 2014, 8:39 am EDT
Acentrella insignificans nymphs are abundant in the Russian River from early January through April. Most are found in riffles or at the edge of riffles, also found in lesser numbers in glides. They prefer a substrate of clean gravel and cobble. Large numbers of nymphs are often found on the underside of cobbles.
The nymphs were identified to genus using Merritt, Cummins and Berg (2008). They were identified to species using Morihara and McCafferty's "The Baetis Larvae of North America (Ephemeropttera:Baetidae) (1979). They are listed in this account under the synonym Baetis insignificans. http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_m/pubmoriharad1979p139.pdf I also used Jacobus and McCafferty's key for North American Acentrella larvae in "A new species of Acentrella Bergsstrom (Ephemeroptera:Baetidae) from Great Smoky Mountains National Park, USA" (2006).http://www.ephemeroptera-galactica.com/pubs/pub_j/pubjacobusl2006p101.pdf
"If we knew what it was we were doing, it would not be called research, would it?"
-Albert Einstein

Quick Reply