Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Tricorythodes

A cult following is something to which few insects can lay claim, but the tiny Tricorythodes mayflies certainly qualify. Their widespread, reliable, heavy hatches draw impressive rises of ultra-selective trout which demand the most of a technical dry-fly angler's skills.

It is surprising that such a great hatch took so long to come to the attention of fly fishermen. The Tricos were first introduced to anglers in a 1969 Outdoor Life article by Vincent Marinaro, who misidentified them as Caenis. By the early 1970s the identification had been corrected but Swisher and Richards still wrote in Selective Trout, "Few anglers are familiar with these extremely small but important mayflies." The next wave of publications boosted Tricorythodes to its current fame. I suspect their early dismissal was due in part to tackle limitations; anglers in the 1950s had no means to effectively tie and present size 22-28 flies.

Example specimens

BioGriz
PA / MT

BioGriz on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 10:36 am EDT
Preface: Any hatch where you are knee deep in trout rising and sipping bugs is awesome, regardeless if you are struggling to get a tight line. But on my home water the Tulpehocken Creek (Tully), which many of you from PA have fished before, Trico hatch brings problems...
1) Stressfull/unhealthy conditions for the trout. i.e. low water & high temps
2) A lot more fishing pressure from the "fair weather" community

I am a relative greenhorn compared to some of you who have decades of experience under your belt, and am just fishing for some general opinions here.

Had a great day at rebers using sze 22 trike spinner but i am noticing the tully temp is climbing. What kind of impact can we make on the stream? Is fishing in the morning and laying off the trout in the afternoon ok? or should the tully be left alone completely??

Thanks for your input!
“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Kschaefer3
Kschaefer3's profile picture
St. Paul, MN

Kschaefer3 on Jun 24, 2013June 24th, 2013, 11:00 am EDT
It has been my understanding that as long as the water temp is under 70 degrees, you will not harm the fish, although over 65 and the fish shut down. I tend to leave trout alone in any water above 65 degrees. There are many on here more knowledgeable than myself, so hopefully they chime in as well.
BioGriz
PA / MT

BioGriz on Jun 25, 2013June 25th, 2013, 4:12 am EDT
The water is up in the high 60's already and its not even july, ~68 degrees. Even with the high water temp the fish still actively rise. The fisherman are right there after them. I don't blame them, but there is a lot of ignorance towards the resources we have in PA.

I see a lot of people dropping the 65 degree threshold and 70 degree threshold but was wondering if there was any literature out there i could be directed to.

Martinlf
Martinlf's profile picture
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 12, 2013August 12th, 2013, 4:44 pm EDT
Bio, sorry I missed this one. The Tully is typically OK through June, especially in the morning, and sometimes into July and August, but each year is different. Stream temps depend on many factors, including ambient temperature, water level in the lake, and how the operator at the dam does the mixing, as she or he has the ability to draw water from different levels in the lake and mix it to try to get a reasonable temperature while holding on to as much cold water as possible. It's a shallow lake. The USGS gauge up near the water plant can be checked online; it gives the temperature at that location. The water warms a bit before it gets to Rebers, and even more down to Papermill Road. A stream thermometer is a good thing to have when fishing tricos.
"He spread them a yard and a half. 'And every one that got away is this big.'"

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 12, 2013August 12th, 2013, 5:21 pm EDT
"Is fishing in the morning"

I have fished the Tully in the winter, spring, and summer and while it often has a bunch of trout it is really only a marginal trout stream and I doubt if trout would exist there without stockings.

Since the Trico spinner start to fall as early as 6:30 a.m. on the Tully I think you are okay to fish the spinner fall because in all the times I've fished Tricos on the Tully it is over by 10:30, 11:00 at the latest.

As Louis mentioned bring a stream thermometer. Check the water temp when you get there. If it is less than 70 degrees you should be okay but just because the water is less than 70 doesn't mean those trout aren't stressed. The is very little gradient on the Tully and I've seen in July large brown trout 16" - 18" sitting on the bottom gasping for oxygen. You can see them with their mouths opening and closing quite rapidly. I've seen some come up to the surface and start to float downstream with very little life left in them. If you can't revive a trout you catch you might as well kill it and bring it home and eat it.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 12, 2013August 12th, 2013, 7:02 pm EDT
Yes, Matt makes some good points. I'd put the threshold at 68, and try to play fish quickly, breaking them off if you can't land and release them quickly. The stream is delayed harvest, but a number of fish do hold over and there are some bigger fish there. They benefit from careful fishing.

--Fred Chappell
Afishinado
SE PA

Afishinado on Aug 13, 2013August 13th, 2013, 3:27 am EDT
The cold water pool in Blue Marsh is depleted. Water temps remain in the 70's even with this relatively cool weather we've been having in the last few weeks.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv?cb_00010=on&format=gif_default&period=&begin_date=2013-08-06&end_date=2013-08-13&site_no=01470960
Martinlf
Palmyra PA

Martinlf on Aug 13, 2013August 13th, 2013, 8:08 am EDT
Thanks for posting up the gauge. The shallowness of the lake makes July and August iffy in many years. IMHO the fish in the Tully should be left alone until fall, with the hopes that they find cold water somewhere and survive for another year.

--Fred Chappell
Wbranch
Wbranch's profile picture
York & Starlight PA

Wbranch on Aug 15, 2013August 15th, 2013, 12:09 am EDT
Terrible water temperatures for a trout. No one who has any regard for trout & fly fishing should visit the Tully until the water temperatures remain at least 68 or less for a few days.
Catskill fly fisher for fifty-five years.
BioGriz
PA / MT

BioGriz on Oct 1, 2013October 1st, 2013, 4:29 pm EDT
Thanks everyone for the input. After several months away I have been back and was surprised at the amount of trout that are still kicking after the brutal summer of low flow and high temps. They definitely have been hugging the springs and tribs. But are spreading out and hitting dries as we get into my favorite time of year.

I will be at Reber's Bridge sunrise on Sunday Oct 6 if anybody wants to meet up, always looking for someone to talk shop with and share a laugh.

btw look at the pectoral fin on this guy

12345 on Dec 17, 2013December 17th, 2013, 9:32 am EST
Preface: Any hatch where you are knee deep in trout rising and sipping bugs is awesome, regardeless if you are struggling to get a tight line. But on my home water the Tulpehocken Creek (Tully), which many of you from PA have fished before, Trico hatch brings problems...
1) Stressfull/unhealthy conditions for the trout. i.e. low water & high temps
2) A lot more fishing pressure from the "fair weather" community

I am a relative greenhorn compared to some of you who have decades of experience under your belt, and am just fishing for some general opinions here.

Had a great day at rebers using sze 22 trike spinner but i am noticing the tully temp is climbing. What kind of impact can we make on the stream? Is fishing in the morning and laying off the trout in the afternoon ok? or should the tully be left alone completely??

Thanks for your input!

Quick Reply