Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Spud has attached these 4 pictures. The message is below.
Little Gunpowder Falls in northern Maryland
A nice high-gradient wild brown trout stream in northern Maryland
Unidentified spinner
Nice brookie from western Maryland
Spud
Spud on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 8:11 am EDT
Got an Olympus Stylus710 as a gift and have just started playing around with it. Here are the very first pics I've taken.
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 9:19 am EDT
Nice pics, Spud. That high-gradient mountain stream looks a lot like one I was on this weekend, but in a different state.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
GONZO
Site Editor
"Bear Swamp," PA

GONZO on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 9:42 am EDT
Nice streams. Lovely brookie. Good job, Spud.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on May 21, 2007May 21st, 2007, 10:25 am EDT
Spud-

Your unidentified mayfly is interesting to me. Is is missing left wing(s), or is that only an illusion? Did it have hind wings? What would you estimate to be its size or length from front of head to end of abdomen? How many tails did it have?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com
Spud
Spud on May 22, 2007May 22nd, 2007, 3:19 pm EDT
Taxon,

It had both of its wings and no hind wings, I am just a poor photographer ;). I am short on time right now but will resize and add some more pics shortly. I will measure my rod tas well to try to get you an accurate length measurement.

- Mike
D40
Keswick, Cumbria, England

D40 on May 29, 2007May 29th, 2007, 9:57 am EDT
Nice pics Spud and you do look pleased with your brookie.
Did the Mayfly crawl or fly onto your rod?

Quick Reply