Header image
Enter a name
Artistic view of a Male Pteronarcys californica (Pteronarcyidae) (Giant Salmonfly) Stonefly Adult from the Gallatin River in Montana
Salmonflies
Pteronarcys californica

The giant Salmonflies of the Western mountains are legendary for their proclivity to elicit consistent dry-fly action and ferocious strikes.

Lateral view of a Psychodidae True Fly Larva from Mystery Creek #308 in Washington
This wild-looking little thing completely puzzled me. At first I was thinking beetle or month larva, until I got a look at the pictures on the computer screen. I made a couple of incorrect guesses before entomologist Greg Courtney pointed me in the right direction with Psychodidae. He suggested a possible genus of Thornburghiella, but could not rule out some other members of the tribe Pericomini.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on May 16, 2007May 16th, 2007, 4:44 am EDT
Comparing trophy Labrador brookies to the brookies I get in my area where anything over 12" is considered by most to be pretty darn nice is apples to oranges,but with that said,here is a few of mine from this season and a couple pics of where I get'em.The sea-run specks are just starting to show in the rivermouths,so I expect to get into some fish in the 20" range in the coming weeks.

Beaverpond behind my house

Some 12-14" backyard brookies

One of my favorite small rivers close to home.
Downstream view of a riverbend

Upstream view of same pool

15" brookie from same pool,best of the season so far.
Bush
Bush on May 22, 2007May 22nd, 2007, 2:30 pm EDT
nice fish Greenghost
looks a bit chilly there.
good luck with the seatrout.
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on May 24, 2007May 24th, 2007, 4:37 pm EDT
Chilly yes,it has been a late Spring here.Those pics are from late April-early May,things are greening up and warming up nicely now.
Luv2fish
Luv2fish on May 25, 2007May 25th, 2007, 4:49 am EDT
Hey man,

I am most defenitely a trout nut, although I do enjoy salmon fishing when the salmon are running through and late in the fall on the Cains river. I spend may days fishing for Sea-run trout from this point on until mid August...just before spawning. Just out of curiosity wherer are you located, I am always looking for new fishing opportunities, and I am most defenitely a catch and release only of the big spawners.Good luck with the sea run, enjoy the season!
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on May 25, 2007May 25th, 2007, 7:23 am EDT
I'm in the SJ area.There's a few nice rivers around here for seatrout,but if you're on the Mirimachi,you probably have better opportunities in your area?I get up to Blissfield a few times/yr to my father's place for Salmon,always wanted to float the Cains amongst others.
Luv2fish
Luv2fish on May 28, 2007May 28th, 2007, 5:37 am EDT
The Cains is a nice river to fish and float, it takes a few years to get to know where and how to fish the Cains but it is a blast when you hook into those three and four lbs... lunkers.

What about the Westfield area, is there anyplace around there> I'm in fredericton and looking to spend some time in new areas this summer...rather than only on the miramichi.

Thanks
Greenghost
New Brunswick

Greenghost on May 28, 2007May 28th, 2007, 5:25 pm EDT
The Nerepis starts in the Army grounds and meets the Saint John in Westfield,but it's spotty at best.Was/is a very nice river,but clearcutting on the base over the years and the flash flooding that results apparently has been the demise of the trout and the salmon run sadly is extinct.From what I understand,they suffer a gill infection when it turns muddy after heavy rains?You might try the upper sections on the base and tribs for resident brookies.It's a shame really,beautiful little river tailor made for flyfishing and canoeing and it's all but dead from my experience.

Along the river road from Westfield up to Gagetown there are several nice brooks that should be getting seatrout now.Burke Brook at Victoria Beach,Flaglor brook near Oak Pt.,Otnabog Stream above Queenstown are all nice little streams that run across the River Rd.I was actually planning to hit 2 or 3 of them this past Sunday but life got in the way and wasn't able to go anywhere!#$%&!Hope to try Victoria tommorrow eve.

Quick Reply