Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Lateral view of a Onocosmoecus (Limnephilidae) (Great Late-Summer Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen keys pretty easily to Onocosmoecus, and it closely resembles a specimen from Alaska which caddis expert Dave Ruiter recognized as this genus. As with that specimen, the only species in the genus documented in this area is Onocosmoecus unicolor, but Dave suggested for that specimen that there might be multiple not-yet-distinguished species under the unicolor umbrella and it would be best to stick with the genus-level ID. I'm doing the same for this one.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Hexagenia

These are huge mayflies. Hexagenia limbata, by far the most important species, is the second largest mayfly in the United States. The largest is its close relative, Litobrancha recurvata, which until recently was also in the genus Hexagenia.

Two minor species, Hexagenia atrocaudata and Hexagenia rigida, may be noticed later in the season than limbata.

Read each species page for emergence and other details.

Example specimens

Hdhungryman
Hdhungryman's profile picture
Southern California

Hdhungryman on Apr 15, 2012April 15th, 2012, 4:57 pm EDT
Forget the end of the world. The Hex Hatch is just about on again. For more than 7 years now, I have been making the journey north and have encountered one of the most prolific hex hatches I have ever seen (in the West that is). We all know that there are very specific conditions that must exist in order for this amazing event to occur. There are a few notable locations though I have found Henderson Springs in Big Bend, CA to be the most exciting from the perspective of a flyfisherman.

I am constantly keeping an eye out for when the hatch starts in this region. I will do my best to keep my post current as I get further updates. Make it a great season!

PaulRoberts
PaulRoberts's profile picture
Colorado

PaulRoberts on Apr 15, 2012April 15th, 2012, 5:09 pm EDT
Good luck, man!
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Apr 15, 2012April 15th, 2012, 7:45 pm EDT
Welcome to the forum Hungryman.

Been there many times. Catch any big catfish? It's bizarre how the springs allow both them and trout to inhabit the same water. Caught one that tipped the scales at over 12 lb.'s and was afraid it was going to sink my float tube with one of it's spines! (I wonder if that's a record for catfish on a dry fly?) :)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman
Crepuscular
Crepuscular's profile picture
Boiling Springs, PA

Crepuscular on Apr 16, 2012April 16th, 2012, 4:30 am EDT
Caught one that tipped the scales at over 12 lb.'s and was afraid it was going to sink my float tube with one of it's spines! (I wonder if that's a record for catfish on a dry fly?) :)

I don't know but during the Ephoron leukon hatch on the Susquehanna river it is not unusual to catch enormous channel cats! It's very challenging to get the fly directly on the nose of those cats when they are feeding on the spinners. But man do they pull! I've caught and seen friends catch them that go at least that big!
THETHUMB
THETHUMB's profile picture
THETHUMB on Jun 3, 2012June 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm EDT
This last week was a perfect condition for the Henderson Hex Hatch. Although I missed it, several friends were there with fantastic stories and results.
Taxon
Taxon's profile picture
Site Editor
Plano, TX

Taxon on Aug 12, 2012August 12th, 2012, 10:30 pm EDT
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to the forum. Very nice video. Am I correct in assuming the Hexagenia nymphs collected for use as live bait for catfish?
Best regards,
Roger Rohrbeck
www.FlyfishingEntomology.com

Quick Reply