Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

Dorsal view of a Pycnopsyche guttifera (Limnephilidae) (Great Autumn Brown Sedge) Caddisfly Larva from the Yakima River in Washington
This specimen appears to be of the same species as this one collected in the same spot two months earlier. The identification of both is tentative. This one suffered some physical damage before being photographed, too, so the colors aren't totally natural. I was mostly photographing it to test out some new camera setting idea, which worked really well for a couple of closeups.
27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Family Isonychiidae

See Isonychia for details. It is the only North American genus in this family.

Example specimens

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Mar 29, 2012March 29th, 2012, 6:22 am EDT
When these threads morph (as they often seem to do), it would be nice if the topic originators would perhaps modify the titles to recognize this... Craig? But even this won't de-link it from the improper taxon. This, and avoiding multiple ID requests in the same thread would be a big help. Unfortunately this happens a lot. There's a lot of great commentary by the bug guys on this forum buried in unrelated topics.

Good luck with this Kurt...;)
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood
Entoman
Entoman's profile picture
Northern CA & ID

Entoman on Mar 29, 2012March 29th, 2012, 12:43 pm EDT
I must admit that nothing I have access to (other than Schwiebert) goes into infuscation or body coloration in a way that's much help. I just threw neglectus on the table based on size (8mm range vs. 12-16mm for distinctus) and the eyes (small black vs. larger & olive for distinctus). Both characters are tough to work with if they're close as there's no way to verify the accuracy of the measurement and eye color is often impacted by photographic lighting conditions and artifact.

At first I was thinking this was a female distinctus (because of the little black eyes) before Roger mentioned the size. Didn't notice the claspers neatly tucked against the terminal seg! Nobody mentioned my gender confusion, but I edited it anyway.:)
"It's not that I find fishing so important, it's just that I find all other endeavors of Man equally unimportant... And not nearly as much fun!" Robert Traver, Anatomy of a Fisherman

Quick Reply