Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Male Baetis (Baetidae) (Blue-Winged Olive) Mayfly Dun from Mystery Creek #43 in New York
Blue-winged Olives
Baetis

Tiny Baetis mayflies are perhaps the most commonly encountered and imitated by anglers on all American trout streams due to their great abundance, widespread distribution, and trout-friendly emergence habits.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Species Stenonema vicarium

In the East and Midwest this is one of the most important hatches of the Spring. They are large flies which emerge sporadically, making for long days of good fishing.

This species contains the two classic Eastern hatches formerly known as Stenonema vicarium and Stenonema fuscum, the "March Brown" and "Gray Fox." Entomologists have discovered that these mayflies belong to the same species, but they still display differences in appearance which the trout notice easily. Anglers should be prepared to imitate both types.

Example specimens

Jrcald
Jrcald on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 2:30 am EDT
i know that gray foxs and march browns are classified in the same family but what are the differences ? what is the color differences are both bodies the same color tan ?
Troutnut
Troutnut's profile picture
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 4:01 am EDT
They're not just in the same family -- they're both the same species, Maccaffertium vicarium. But they are still distinct color variations within that species.

In the specimens I've collected, it seems the "Grey Fox" ones are a little smaller and stockier, and with more gray or amber shades than brown.

The hatching periods and behavior are generally supposed to be the same. Just carry patterns for each variation and try to scoop up a live one on the stream to decide which to use.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Troutnut and salmonid ecologist
LittleJ
Hollidaysburg Pa

LittleJ on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 8:09 am EDT
I thought "gray fox" were fuscum?.......did they eliminate that species when they went from stenonoma to maccaffertium? just when I think I'm getting the hang of this bug jargon you guys send me another curveball:)
Jeff
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 10:23 am EDT
I thought "gray fox" were fuscum?.......did they eliminate that species when they went from stenonoma to maccaffertium?

Yeah, they eliminated fuscom. I don't think it was in the same paper that bumped all but one of the Stenonema species over to Maccaffertium, but it was probably around the same time.
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 1:38 pm EDT
fuscum got knocked off in 1979
most stenonema spp. went to mac. a couple years ago
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 12, 2007March 12th, 2007, 4:36 pm EDT
I stand corrected, then. I didn't realize fuscom was ditched before I was born!
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.
Konchu
Konchu's profile picture
Site Editor
Indiana

Konchu on Mar 13, 2007March 13th, 2007, 12:59 am EDT
now you're making me feel OLD
Troutnut
Administrator
Bellevue, WA

Troutnut on Mar 13, 2007March 13th, 2007, 2:10 am EDT
Oops! Well, if it helps, I was born just a year later...
Jason Neuswanger, Ph.D.

Quick Reply