Header image
Enter a name
Lateral view of a Female Hexagenia limbata (Ephemeridae) (Hex) Mayfly Dun from the Namekagon River in Wisconsin
Hex Mayflies
Hexagenia limbata

The famous nocturnal Hex hatch of the Midwest (and a few other lucky locations) stirs to the surface mythically large brown trout that only touch streamers for the rest of the year.

27" brown trout, my largest ever. It was the sub-dominant fish in its pool. After this, I hooked the bigger one, but I couldn't land it.
Troutnut is a project started in 2003 by salmonid ecologist Jason "Troutnut" Neuswanger to help anglers and fly tyers unabashedly embrace the entomological side of the sport. Learn more about Troutnut or support the project for an enhanced experience here.

This topic is about the Mayfly Genus Acentrella

The only Acentrella species commonly reported to be important to anglers is Acentrella turbida, though Acentrella insignificans is important in some western locales. See the species pages for distribution and timing details. This genus is one of two (including Heterocloeon) that can easily be distinguished from other Baetidae genera by the presence of a conical mesonotal projection. A. turbida lacks hindwings which is useful for distinguishing this species from all others in either genera. A. turbida was previously known by the names of its synonyms Pseudocloeon turbidum in the West and Pseudocloeon carolina in the East.

Example specimens

Oldredbarn
Oldredbarn's profile picture
Novi, MI

Oldredbarn on Sep 3, 2011September 3rd, 2011, 2:36 pm EDT
He just might throw open his window one fine morning and exhort his neighbor's son to run down and buy that Tenkara rig hanging in the fly shop window for him.:)

Don't hold your breath on this one boys...I'm not looking for another girlfriend.

I'm working on paring down the vest...Just give me another moment or two...One day I'll free myself from my mere wage-slave existance and will get it as together as I'm capable...;)

I am in the office as I write this on a holiday weekend because I needed to change virus protection for our office computers...Everything was going along well. I had everything working on computer number one, the big bosses Lisa's, and then couldn't get the other two to read the damn disc. I sent off tech emails etc and tried just about everything I could imagine, and discovered a serious smudge on the back of the disk??? I got out some alcohol and a Q-Tip and tried to remove it and it worked! Go figure. Then I had one last bit on one computer from the old virus protection I couldn't delete...Somehow I finally pulled that off as well! Yippie! Its Molson time!

When I first started working with my wife in Jan 1993 her only comment to me, besides don't ever insure this one broken down old shack we would pass on the way in every morning as we drove to work, was, "Fake it to you make it!" By Crom! She was right. She just better not ever let me go, or let me fall down in a stream somewhere...;) "Don't worry dear, the life policies are all paid up...I fall in you can move to AZ and be with your twin and both of you will be able to afford a couple 25 year old pool boys each!"

Damn! I better lay off this tea.

Spence
"Even when my best efforts fail it's a satisfying challenge, and that, after all, is the essence of fly fishing." -Chauncy Lively

"Envy not the man who lives beside the river, but the man the river flows through." Joseph T Heywood

Quick Reply